White Strings at base of Millepora? What could this be?

SliceGolfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Messages
1,476
Reaction score
2,280
Location
Washington
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Friends - I've had this Millepora for almost 30 days. It has been coloring up, some base growth, and otherwise looking good. Today, I notice this white stringy material at the base. It appears to be on the flesh as well as the frag plug. The coral does not appear to be bothered about this substance, and the substance flows in the current. I haven't seen anything like this in my tanks before so hoping someone has an idea. I have not attempted to blow this off or disturb the substance. Thanks in advance.

IMG_1572.jpeg
 
I'm sure someone will post the name of them, can't remember at the moment but they are basically digestive elements from the coral. Most corals will release them when bothered, irratated by something. You will find them commonly between different coral types that placed to close to eachother and are fighting eachother. Corals can kill nearby corals with these.
 
Hi Friends - I've had this Millepora for almost 30 days. It has been coloring up, some base growth, and otherwise looking good. Today, I notice this white stringy material at the base. It appears to be on the flesh as well as the frag plug. The coral does not appear to be bothered about this substance, and the substance flows in the current. I haven't seen anything like this in my tanks before so hoping someone has an idea. I have not attempted to blow this off or disturb the substance. Thanks in advance.

IMG_1572.jpeg
These are known as mesentrial filaments where there is a feeding response where coral is trying to digest excess nutrients,and use these filaments to obtain food in various forms , or even when nutrients are low and .. . . . even happy coral will display this known as mesentrial filaments
 
I'm sure someone will post the name of them, can't remember at the moment but they are basically digestive elements from the coral. Most corals will release them when bothered, irratated by something. You will find them commonly between different coral types that placed to close to eachother and are fighting eachother. Corals can kill nearby corals with these.
Milleporas don’t have sweeper tentacles but can sting other nearby corals.
 
These are known as mesentrial filaments where there is a feeding response where coral is trying to digest excess nutrients,and use these filaments to obtain food in various forms , or even when nutrients are low and .. . . . even happy coral will display this known as mesentrial filaments
Thanks, @vetteguy53081 - Agreed on the mesentrial filaments. There are no signs of the filaments this morning and the coral looks great. I have seen mesentrial filaments with LPS coral but this is the first time witnessing them with SPS. Better to be safe and ask for a second opinion! Appreciate the assist!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new