White Strings at base of Millepora? What could this be?

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Friends - I've had this Millepora for almost 30 days. It has been coloring up, some base growth, and otherwise looking good. Today, I notice this white stringy material at the base. It appears to be on the flesh as well as the frag plug. The coral does not appear to be bothered about this substance, and the substance flows in the current. I haven't seen anything like this in my tanks before so hoping someone has an idea. I have not attempted to blow this off or disturb the substance. Thanks in advance.

IMG_1572.jpeg

RabidDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure someone will post the name of them, can't remember at the moment but they are basically digestive elements from the coral. Most corals will release them when bothered, irratated by something. You will find them commonly between different coral types that placed to close to eachother and are fighting eachother. Corals can kill nearby corals with these.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi Friends - I've had this Millepora for almost 30 days. It has been coloring up, some base growth, and otherwise looking good. Today, I notice this white stringy material at the base. It appears to be on the flesh as well as the frag plug. The coral does not appear to be bothered about this substance, and the substance flows in the current. I haven't seen anything like this in my tanks before so hoping someone has an idea. I have not attempted to blow this off or disturb the substance. Thanks in advance.

IMG_1572.jpeg
These are known as mesentrial filaments where there is a feeding response where coral is trying to digest excess nutrients,and use these filaments to obtain food in various forms , or even when nutrients are low and .. . . . even happy coral will display this known as mesentrial filaments

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure someone will post the name of them, can't remember at the moment but they are basically digestive elements from the coral. Most corals will release them when bothered, irratated by something. You will find them commonly between different coral types that placed to close to eachother and are fighting eachother. Corals can kill nearby corals with these.
Milleporas don’t have sweeper tentacles but can sting other nearby corals.

OP
OP
SliceGolfer

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are known as mesentrial filaments where there is a feeding response where coral is trying to digest excess nutrients,and use these filaments to obtain food in various forms , or even when nutrients are low and .. . . . even happy coral will display this known as mesentrial filaments
Thanks, @vetteguy53081 - Agreed on the mesentrial filaments. There are no signs of the filaments this morning and the coral looks great. I have seen mesentrial filaments with LPS coral but this is the first time witnessing them with SPS. Better to be safe and ask for a second opinion! Appreciate the assist!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back