White strings?

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So we have two new baby clownfish from a reputable pre-quarantined source. They are in a new deskmate tank with no other fish or corals.
Today my daughter noticed "white shiny strings" hanging from them. I'm working out of town but she sent me some photos.
We feed them Fauna Marin Soft Clownfish pellets twice a day. We try to make sure each fish gets 2-3 pellets each feeding.
Could this be parasites?
IMG_9737.jpg

IMG_9736.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So we have two new baby clownfish from a reputable pre-quarantined source. They are in a new deskmate tank with no other fish or corals.
Today my daughter noticed "white shiny strings" hanging from them. I'm working out of town but she sent me some photos.
We feed them Fauna Marin Soft Clownfish pellets twice a day. We try to make sure each fish gets 2-3 pellets each feeding.
Could this be parasites?
IMG_9737.jpg

IMG_9736.jpg
Pics are dark and best under white light intensity but based on the density and weight of the fish, looks like excess mucus in the food and may be associated with what is fed.
I assume you are feeding Mysis shrimp, brine shrimp or both?

OP
OP
Pvtgloss

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pics are dark and best under white light intensity but based on the density and weight of the fish, looks like excess mucus in the food and may be associated with what is fed.
I assume you are feeding Mysis shrimp, brine shrimp or both?
Nothing frozen. Just Fauna Marin Soft Clownfish pellets. I'll take gif pictures tomorrow when I get home.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the fish has recently changed from its other diet to yours - this can be an issue. More information would be helpful to me

OP
OP
Pvtgloss

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the fish has recently changed from its other diet to yours - this can be an issue. More information would be helpful to me
They arrived about a 3-4 weeks ago from Dr reefs. The tank cycled for 87 days before they went in. They are the only livestock that's been in the tank. Tank is a deskmate florida. I've done one 50% WC so far. Planning on doing one every 2 weeks. They came in happy and eating right away. No changes in their environment. Sometimes I feed Dr Bassleer biofish pellets w/ garlic because the pellets are extremely small. Usual diet is the Fauna Marin soft pellets which are small but not as small as Dr Bassleer. We feed 2x a day. Try to make sure each one gets 2 pellets. 3 if it's Dr bassleer pellets. I'm trying to think of more info, there's just not much to the situation since it's a new tank and they are brand new.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would continue to watch - since there are no other symptoms.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back