White stringy stuff on corals and rock

loody

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 7, 2026
Messages
6
Reaction score
2
Location
Saudi Arabia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I found these white strings all over my rock and clove polyps are they harmful in any way?



IMG_0059.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0055.mov
    7.7 MB
Some background information would help:
How long has tank been set up?
How did you cycle this tank?
Describe your sandbed maintenance and what is the maroon algae on your substrate?

Your stringy stuff looks like what’s in my refugium.
 
its been set up for 4 months now
I used dr fritz ammonia with some microbacter7 to cycle it and verified it was cycling
I usually vacuum the sand bed once weekly when i'm changing the water
 
What’s the maroon stuff on the substrate?

How did you verify that tank was cycled?

What are your parameters?

How much water gets changed weekly and what size system,
 
Last edited:
The red stuff you're talking about is some red coralline algae I assume that came with the coral frag its on the rock work though the substrate isn't in the picture
I tested the water as per the instructions after dosing ammonia and confirmed it was being converted
ammonia 0
nitrate around 10 ppm
salinity .25
it's a 40 gallon and i change around 10-15 percent weekly
 
Salinity should be 35ppt or a specific gravity of 1.025

Not .25
 
My bad that's what i meant i was talking about the sg
AND, what is your specific gravity? You wrote .25
It should be 1.025. Details matter.

Also, what is your alkalinity and your calcium in ppm.

PS: Consider starting a tank journal in members tank forum. It helps us to help you.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new