White stringy thing hanging from clownfish

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it attached to the skin of the clownfish or hanging from the anus? Posting a picture would definitely help.

OP
OP
Luka

Luka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hanging from the anus forgot to say that I will try to get a pic...I am thinking its just feces

OP
OP
Luka

Luka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily he swims right up....it looks to be getting longer and a little yellow shaded tube in the middle around the clear white stuff

IMG_0835.JPG

OP
OP
Luka

Luka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No he was not in quarantine hes a new fish, today is the first day he ate. I had him since last Friday. Been feeding him Hikari slow sinking pellets

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok well I would begin a treatment for internal parasites. Prazi pro can be used in the dt if qt is not an option but may not treat all infections. Another route is to try binding metronidazole to food with focus. If he will eat it.

OP
OP
Luka

Luka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dt? sorry I am new I don't understand all this lingo had to google qt haha and which would you recommend? Also I have another clown, a shrimp and hermits in my tank should I be worried for them as well?

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol no problem, dt is your display or main tank, been around here for years and still have to look up new terms. I would personally try Prazi first as long as you don't have fan worms. The fish doesn't have to be eating well and it will give you time to figure out a quarantine setup. @Humblefish what do you think.

OP
OP
Luka

Luka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm he's swimming fine and very thing maybe cause of some brine shrimp I fed him. I did some web searching and found that the white stringy stuff seems to be kind of common and others say it's a parasite and others say it's something that comes and goes.

DunkCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went through this with my clownfish. Filled a 10g with an air pump and put in some prazipro and she looked better almost over night. Kept her in for a week to be safe and all is well now

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your sure it's parasites? Should I wait it out... And I can just put prazi in my display tank

Hi there Luka! It is most likely internal parasites. Naiad has given you good advice. Prazi can be administered in tank. The metro- which will treat more parasites than the prazi can be bound to the fish's food using Seachem Focus to make it safe to use in the display as well. Follow the dosing directions on the bottle. Dont wait it out as there is no reason to do so and every reason to go ahead and treat. Good luck! Keep us posted :)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks guys I will get Prazi asap...how will I know if it will work?

His poop wont be white anymore. You could notice a better feeding response and more activity from the fish as well.

OP
OP
Luka

Luka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hes pretty active already...so my LFS didn't have prazi and he said he didn't like it. He recommended Microbe-lift Herbtana, he said it was more natural and will do the same thing also he said it is easier on the fish. Anyone know much about this product?

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the equivalent of giving your fish a glass of orange juice. It doesn't treat anything. Just provides vitamins to give the fish the ability to resist infection.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the equivalent of giving your fish a glass of orange juice. It doesn't treat anything. Just provides vitamins to give the fish the ability to resist infection.

^^^ this. It's not going to do anything except maybe boost his immune system. You can do the same thing by adding vitamins to his food. It wont help with the internal parasites.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back