White Tail Tang - Flukes

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantining a white tail tang. Been through TTM for 3 weeks no issues and in observation now. Noticed some whiteness or what look like raised scales. Can’t be seen easily on the video or naked eye. He’s been eating fine but a bit skittish and hiding when I come in room. So I setup camera and looks like he is putting himself in flow of bubbler. First thought it might be velvet but don’t think he woulda survived this long so thinking flukes. Thoughts.? And if flukes, hypo or Prazi?

Thanks.

Attachments

• recordvideo.mp4
    2.6 MB

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh water dip works wonders for flukes. I had a clown with a fluke in its eye and all it needed was a dip.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Quarantining a white tail tang. Been through TTM for 3 weeks no issues and in observation now. Noticed some whiteness or what look like raised scales. Can’t be seen easily on the video or naked eye. He’s been eating fine but a bit skittish and hiding when I come in room. So I setup camera and looks like he is putting himself in flow of bubbler. First thought it might be velvet but don’t think he woulda survived this long so thinking flukes. Thoughts.? And if flukes, hypo or Prazi?

Thanks.
Flukes generally cannot be seen with naked eye and closest you will see is neobendendia type and the tang swimming in path of bubbles suggest velvet but hard to see skin in bubbles. Flukes will Not remove flukes but offer temporary relief allowing some to dislodge.
If fish eating?
How is breathing rate - Normal or labored?
I dont see scratching, darting, hiding in video associated with irritation from flukes

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, he’s eating well. He generally hides in the pvc tube when I come in room. This is a WiFi camera so he’s coming out. Breathing doesn’t seem labored but seems quick. Figured if it was velvet, since I’ve had him over 3 weeks, he’d be a goner by now.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, he’s eating well. He generally hides in the pvc tube when I come in room. This is a WiFi camera so he’s coming out. Breathing doesn’t seem labored but seems quick. Figured if it was velvet, since I’ve had him over 3 weeks, he’d be a goner by now.

A couple of observations - the tang is breathing too fast. Could be gill disease, or it could be water quality issues. How long has it been in this tank?

The air release is making really large bubbles. Do you have an air stone? That would create a gentler flow while still allow for good gas exchange.

Here is a write-up I did on TTM:

Tank Transfer Method (TTM) – this method does work, but in my opinion, it works best for ich (Cryptocaryon) and not for egg laying flukes at all. It can be very rough on fish due to ammonia and excessive handling, and already stressed fish being housed in small containers. Remember that lateral viewing of new fish is a vital tool for diagnosis....top down views in buckets or totes do not give you a good enough view of how the fish is doing. Then, just when is TTM useful given the logistics of treating diseases? If you use it as part of a quarantine process, you still need a single tank to run the fish through additional quarantine for flukes. If your DT develops ich and you want to use TTM, you can't do that and just put the fish back into the DT, the ich will still be active. That means you would run TTM, but then need to move the fish to another tank during the proper fallow period for the DT.

Jay

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I change the water every 3 days so should be OK. Also do light feeding and siphon out any leftover food.
What is gill disease and is it treatable?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I change the water every 3 days so should be OK. Also do light feeding and siphon out any leftover food.
What is gill disease and is it treatable?
I would double check the ammonia towards the end of the three days, I’ve seen it build up too high in even 24 hours, depending on the fish load.

If it isn’t water quality, then the gill disease could be protozoan, flukes or bacterial. TTM helps with protozoans, but not with the other two. Trouble is, there is no good eat to tell the three infections apart.

Jay

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I’m gonna start with General Cure for the Protozoa/Flukes. I have Neoplex. Can that be used for bacterial? Can it be used with GC?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I’m gonna start with General Cure for the Protozoa/Flukes. I have Neoplex. Can that be used for bacterial? Can it be used with GC?

Yes, Neoplex can be dosed with General Cure, although it is always best to try and treat for one issue at a time, as combining any drugs can increase stress in the fish.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. thanks.
I did just see a reference not to use neomycin with copper though….not sure why not though.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back