White things in the sump

handt

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 23, 2023
Messages
2
Reaction score
9
Location
north
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got these white things growing all over in my sump. Do I need to worry about them?

IMG_2672.jpeg IMG_2669.jpeg
 
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246
 
These look like they are pineapple sponges from what I can see. If you look up a picture and that is what they are, then they are ok and I would guess you have new sand or rock. They will go away as the silica leaches out of the sand and rock.
 
Last edited:
Pine
I’ve got these white things growing all over in my sump. Do I need to worry about them?

IMG_2672.jpeg IMG_2669.jpeg
app sponges which favor low light and glow and are short lived feeding off algae and often emerge when silicate levels are increased
 
I’ve got these white things growing all over in my sump. Do I need to worry about them?

IMG_2672.jpeg IMG_2669.jpeg
Those are pineapple corals peppermint shrimp will eat them. +welcome to reef2reef even though you joined in november.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new