White things on/coming out of Coral Beauty??

Madd_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help identify what is going with our coral beauty, we have had her for about a month now. Her tail got roughed up I think by another fish but is looking worlds better now. This last week she has been pooping in very long strings, that seemed to be getting better but this morning I noticed these white spots under her belly. I’ve been monitoring and it seems to be getting larger/multiplying since this morning. Zooming in it almost looks like it’s a worm protruding out of the body, slow mo video shows the white things moving with the current.. really hoping I’m crazy and it’s nothing to worry about.. any assistance/advice is appreciated!!

IMG_0395.png IMG_0394.png IMG_0393.png IMG_0398.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Please help identify what is going with our coral beauty, we have had her for about a month now. Her tail got roughed up I think by another fish but is looking worlds better now. This last week she has been pooping in very long strings, that seemed to be getting better but this morning I noticed these white spots under her belly. I’ve been monitoring and it seems to be getting larger/multiplying since this morning. Zooming in it almost looks like it’s a worm protruding out of the body, slow mo video shows the white things moving with the current.. really hoping I’m crazy and it’s nothing to worry about.. any assistance/advice is appreciated!!

While it does look worm like its not a Piscicolidae Worm but can be trematode which is treatable with general cure or PraziPro. However, i am not positive and would like to see what @Jay Hemdal thinks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It isn't quite clear enough to make out. Worms don't leave a fish like that, more probably it is mucus from a scrape. Is the fish showing any other symptoms? What color were the long feces?

Jay

OP
OP
Madd_Reef

Madd_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't quite clear enough to make out. Worms don't leave a fish like that, more probably it is mucus from a scrape. Is the fish showing any other symptoms? What color were the long feces?

Jay
Nothing too odd, a few days ago I noticed it putting it's face against the rock and darting off as if to scratch an itch or something around the same time I noticed the really long poops. The poop strings were a lighter green color but she has been pooping somewhat normally these last few days.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing too odd, a few days ago I noticed it putting it's face against the rock and darting off as if to scratch an itch or something around the same time I noticed the really long poops. The poop strings were a lighter green color but she has been pooping somewhat normally these last few days.
If it continues to scrape & flash against surfaces, that is a sign of flukes. You may then want to consider dosing the tank with Prazipro, 2x 8 days apart with good aeration.

Jay

OP
OP
Madd_Reef

Madd_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it continues to scrape & flash against surfaces, that is a sign of flukes. You may then want to consider dosing the tank with Prazipro, 2x 8 days apart with good aeration.

Jay
I haven't noticed it scraping or flashing since last week and I've been watching her like a hawk. I will continue to monitor and update here tomorrow. I appreciate the advice!

OP
OP
Madd_Reef

Madd_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't noticed it scraping or flashing since last week and I've been watching her like a hawk. I will continue to monitor and update here tomorrow. I appreciate the advice!
Update: the white stuff I mentioned before is nearly Gone, however the stringy poops are back and there’s a huge “lighter” spot that’s almost iridescent on her side behind her left fin.. treated the tank with what the LFS called “reef safe” ICH-X last night. All the fish were alive as of this morning, hoping that helps.

mxzx8004

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: the white stuff I mentioned before is nearly Gone, however the stringy poops are back and there’s a huge “lighter” spot that’s almost iridescent on her side behind her left fin.. treated the tank with what the LFS called “reef safe” ICH-X last night. All the fish were alive as of this morning, hoping that helps.
Hey, whats the latest here my friend?

OP
OP
Madd_Reef

Madd_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, whats the latest here my friend?
Looking better but still having issues.. the Royal Gramma is looking iffy too, both flashing every so often but no signs of ick. I did use some Ick X last week then did a 50% water change but didn’t notice much change. Noticed my nitrates are higher than normal even with the large water change.. with what looks like skin/fin rot I’m hoping it’s flukes. I’ll be doing a fresh water dip tonight, I’ll let you know how it goes..

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking better but still having issues.. the Royal Gramma is looking iffy too, both flashing every so often but no signs of ick. I did use some Ick X last week then did a 50% water change but didn’t notice much change. Noticed my nitrates are higher than normal even with the large water change.. with what looks like skin/fin rot I’m hoping it’s flukes. I’ll be doing a fresh water dip tonight, I’ll let you know how it goes..

Have you tried Prazipro yet? A FW dip won't tell you if it is Gyrodactylus flukes (those are too small to see without a microscope) and putting the fish back into the tank after the dip just allows them to be reinfected.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back