White vs Blue; Which grows coral better?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
dont really subscribe to the "depth" thing.

ive seen LE corals thrive under 150 par and the very same one thrive under 1000 par.
all of our lighting and color temp as well as timers are different.

even wild colonies we put in our tanks can come from deep depths and "adapt" to our glass boxes

That was not the question if they can adapt it is what they grow best under. Sure corals adapt but it does not mean they grow best under what they adapted to..

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was not the question if they can adapt it is what they grow best under. Sure corals adapt but it does not mean they grow best under what they adapted to..

well the potential energy comes from light. The stronger the light, the more energy, the more growth.

Ive yet to see someone win a grow-off with little light and lots of feeding.

the coral has no real choice, but to consume the energy through photosynthesis. ive yet to "cook" a coral and i have 300 par on the sand bed.

every coral i receive gets the same 300-800 par treatment.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
well the potential energy comes from light. The stronger the light, the more energy, the more growth.

Ive yet to see someone win a grow-off with little light and lots of feeding.

the coral has no real choice, but to consume the energy through photosynthesis. ive yet to "cook" a coral and i have 300 par on the sand bed.

every coral i receive gets the same 300-800 par treatment.

So you never seen a coral bleach from too much light or shrivel up and/or die?
I think bleaching stops growth..
You maybe should look up Photoinhibition and what it means to corals.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you never seen a coral bleach from too much light or shrivel up and/or die?
I think bleaching stops growth..
You maybe should look up Photoinhibition and what it means to corals.

i know very well about photoinhibition. maybe you should read on it a little more....

ive bleached one coral but i didnt move it and its still kicking.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just in case a new person reads this i didnt mean to sound mysterious with my answer but i was out with my coworkers.

as such ill elaborate a little...

i read a white paper that regardless of par beamed on a coral, provided they had 18 hours of rest they fully recovered. as such ive noticed the same recovery....

im too lazy to cite this paper but look for symbiodinium photoinhibition papers and you will stumble on it.

this is also why my corals get 6 hours of "peak" lighting.

everyone is so focused on par and pur but dont really take in to account "rest". that is why i take very little of "experienced" reefkeepers advice and stick to the white papers, unless it isnt well-documented.

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everyone is so focused on par and pur but dont really take in to account "rest". that is why i take very little of "experienced" reefkeepers advice and stick to the white papers, unless it isnt well-documented.
yup.

but i think we were talking about color.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What we don't see is that what color the light is to our eyes isn't the same as what the coral sees or uses. A very white/yellow or very blue light to our eyes can have a heavy spike in the spectrums for coral that we can't see. Just because it's white or blue to us doesn't mean that's what is getting to the coral for it's needs.

It's not as simple as "this" for growth and "this" for color.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What we don't see is that what color the light is to our eyes isn't the same as what the coral sees or uses. A very white/yellow or very blue light to our eyes can have a heavy spike in the spectrums for coral that we can't see. Just because it's white or blue to us doesn't mean that's what is getting to the coral for it's needs.

It's not as simple as "this" for growth and "this" for color.
disagree.
short of uv and infrared you can see it

this is why i take "experienced" reef keeper's advice with a grain of salt sometimes.

muddying the waters and stating the human eye cannot detect 400+ nm, is false (short of infrared zone)

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
disagree.

this is why i take "experienced" reef keeper's advice with a grain of salt sometimes

You can see the blue spectrum in a Cree cool white led?

image.jpeg

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sort of but our eyes are not good at seeing the amount of red and blue spectrum blended in with a say (white) t5 bulb

human eye can see a much greater spectrum than chlorophyl spectrum used by corals.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see the blue spectrum in a Cree cool white led?

image.jpeg
white is ALL colors... bad example

bridgelux... same temp for cool white

cool-white-6500-7500k-Spectral-Power-and-Colour-Square_grande.jpg

compare to useful absorption...

172325s8sjkpapsaxtxks3.gif

if you want to say your "expensive" led does more then there is nothing for me to advocate.

lot of wasted green, yellow, and orange light

Last edited:

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
white is ALL colors... bad example

But you said you could see it.

disagree.

this is why i take "experienced" reef keeper's advice with a grain of salt sometimes.

muddying the waters and stating the human eye cannot detect 400+ nm, is false (short of infrared zone)

I never said what or what not the human eye can detect. I just said that because a light is one color to our eyes doesn't mean it doesn't have other parts of the spectrum needed to grow coral.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you said you could see it.

I never said what or what not the human eye can detect. I just said that because a light is one color to our eyes doesn't mean it doesn't have other parts of the spectrum needed to grow coral.

so...

can you see 6500k color temp? not much blue

10,000? lighter blue but still white

14-16,000? strongest blue but white

20,000+ closer to violet and white

yes. i can tell. anyone with eyes can tell if trained to see it.

OrlandoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As reef keepers our job is to replicate the natural environment as much as possible and if you see how powerful the Suns UV spectrum is and its influences on the corals in the wild then I guess we could assume that high Actinic and High UV lighting over just artificial white colors can have a very positive growth on your corals. Now I'm not an expert or anything but I have spoken to many expert coral growers on this topic who agree that our white lights do not produce the same type of spectrum that the Suns white light produces. I've seen a purple monti who looked pale in tank lighting but when brought outside its purple color was glowing in the bright sunlight. It's strange but I guess from just assuming that the sun is mostly white light then yes overtime people believed that white light was neccessary for growth and coloration but white light alone shouldn't be able to produce bioluminescence in corals there needs to be a substantial amount of UV lighting to promote that quality. So I guess in theory if corals themselves respond to the UV spectrum/Blue spectrum in regards to coloration then why wouldn't this lighting also affect growth. I've seen master coral growers with fixtures that contain absolutely no white lighting whatsoever and their growth is explosive literally. But it's just a theory like I said I'm no expert. On my systems at home I run barely any whites at all with led fixtures and my growth is quite impressive versus when I ran the artificial whites with my blues.

05grandprix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so what should my setting be set on 93 gallon cube with the light 16 inches off top water with a glass lid and the fixtures are 2 AI Vega lights currently set blues at 100 and white at 35 and red and green at 15 but it's set on regional mode and following Jakarta Indonesia?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back