White worms under my Morays skin?

trvrstnk4837

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed what appears to be worms under my morays skin, anyone know what they are and what I can do to help him?

1BE70230-7065-4EF8-A696-7971BDD54D9C.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed what appears to be worms under my morays skin, anyone know what they are and what I can do to help him?

1BE70230-7065-4EF8-A696-7971BDD54D9C.jpeg
Those are nematodes. I call it filigree disease. Tough to treat since praziquantel doesn’t work on them. I’m on my phone, but try looking at this article and see if you can find a medication to treat it:

Jay

OP
OP
trvrstnk4837

trvrstnk4837

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are nematodes. I call it filigree disease. Tough to treat since praziquantel doesn’t work on them. I’m on my phone, but try looking at this article and see if you can find a medication to treat it:

Jay

thank you so much

the article mentions fenbendazole and other thing I’ve been able to find suggests this is very effective

its sold as a dog dewormer in powder form so maybe I should give him some directly in his food and then maybe even dose the tank

would still love to hear any suggestions I’d hate to lose my buddy to these worms

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you so much

the article mentions fenbendazole and other thing I’ve been able to find suggests this is very effective

its sold as a dog dewormer in powder form so maybe I should give him some directly in his food and then maybe even dose the tank

would still love to hear any suggestions I’d hate to lose my buddy to these worms

My home Internet is back online, and I could look this up for you. Here is what I wrote about this problem in my fish disease book:

Filigree disease – Huffmanela sp. and related nematodes
Occasionally, marine fish will be seen with a highly distinctive skin lesion that looks a bit like a filigree tattoo, or sometimes, a single meandering line. Moray eels, freshly caught, will sometimes show these symptoms, as will certain sharks. Apparently, the meandering lines are formed as the nematode burrows under the fish’s skin, close to the surface, laying dark eggs that then create the line. Levamisole administered orally at 10 mg / kg may work to reduce the parasite numbers. However, fish showing these lesions are otherwise asymptomatic, and the lesions typically heal within a month or two. This may mean that these nematodes have a secondary host in their life cycle, and so are self-limiting in aquariums.

You could try fenbendazole in the water, but I worry about two issues: that it won't get deep into the tissue very well when used as a bath, and I've seen serious adverse reactions in some fish. The common dose for that is 2 ppm in the water, once a week for three weeks.

Jay

OP
OP
trvrstnk4837

trvrstnk4837

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My home Internet is back online, and I could look this up for you. Here is what I wrote about this problem in my fish disease book:

Filigree disease – Huffmanela sp. and related nematodes
Occasionally, marine fish will be seen with a highly distinctive skin lesion that looks a bit like a filigree tattoo, or sometimes, a single meandering line. Moray eels, freshly caught, will sometimes show these symptoms, as will certain sharks. Apparently, the meandering lines are formed as the nematode burrows under the fish’s skin, close to the surface, laying dark eggs that then create the line. Levamisole administered orally at 10 mg / kg may work to reduce the parasite numbers. However, fish showing these lesions are otherwise asymptomatic, and the lesions typically heal within a month or two. This may mean that these nematodes have a secondary host in their life cycle, and so are self-limiting in aquariums.

You could try fenbendazole in the water, but I worry about two issues: that it won't get deep into the tissue very well when used as a bath, and I've seen serious adverse reactions in some fish. The common dose for that is 2 ppm in the water, once a week for three weeks.

Jay

Thank you, what’s the title of your book?

That’s interesting, not sure how long his journey to the fish store was but I bought my Moray 10 days ago so maybe this process started in the ocean….. I hope that’s the case and I’m just seeing the scars

I stopped at my LFS on the way home and bought this
6516CF91-63BF-4B55-B6C9-C24BB811E67B.jpeg

It’s active ingredient is levamisole hydrochloride I am gunna dose the water per the instructions and try to feed a bit to my eel…. I may soak some pellets and then put them in his food

OP
OP
trvrstnk4837

trvrstnk4837

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I dosed the water

out some powder in a silverside but as I expected he didn’t take it (he ate yesterday) so I should be able to give him some of the medicine tomorrow or the next day

unfortunately there is a new line in his skin since last night

OP
OP
trvrstnk4837

trvrstnk4837

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He ate a silver side with the meds, he’s is acting completely normal otherwise

But my square Anthias had a white stringy poop him and the other fish aren’t eating

next step for the meds as instructed is to redose a week after the first

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He ate a silver side with the meds, he’s is acting completely normal otherwise

But my square Anthias had a white stringy poop him and the other fish aren’t eating

next step for the meds as instructed is to redose a week after the first
Did the other fish stop eating after you dosed with levamisole? That may be a separate issue …… but always very serious.

Jay

OP
OP
trvrstnk4837

trvrstnk4837

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the other fish stop eating after you dosed with levamisole? That may be a separate issue …… but always very serious.

Jay

Yeah between adding the meds, removing the carbon and not using any lights ( as per instructions on the box) the water is just a touch more cloudy and with the darkness I first thought that was just throwing them off but now that I saw that from the Anthias I’m concerned the worms went from the eel to everyone

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah between adding the meds, removing the carbon and not using any lights ( as per instructions on the box) the water is just a touch more cloudy and with the darkness I first thought that was just throwing them off but now that I saw that from the Anthias I’m concerned the worms went from the eel to everyone
Unlikely, I’ve only seen these worms in eels or sharks. I’m worried something else is going on. I’ve only used levamisole in food, not in the water….so I can’t tell you if it is toxic like fenbendazole often is, or if it causes changes in water quality.
Jay

OP
OP
trvrstnk4837

trvrstnk4837

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlikely, I’ve only seen these worms in eels or sharks. I’m worried something else is going on. I’ve only used levamisole in food, not in the water….so I can’t tell you if it is toxic like fenbendazole often is, or if it causes changes in water quality.
Jay

Oh well that’s good to know, I’ll keep updating I may be overthinking what I saw from the Anthias since I was doing all that googling related to parasites

guna turn the lights on for a bit to see if they will eat some mysis

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 75 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back