OP
OP
diver22

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not I follow a slight different install from robo tank... would you think that will be causing it ? Would you recommend starting from scratch reinstalling everything including OS ?

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to start from scratch... using this document.... will update ...
Yeah I use the install script whenever I need to load something just makes it easy, I helped update it and it works well. You will get to a point where it asks if you have a robo tank, just answer no and it will do a default setup and then you can configure and it should be good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
diver22

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I reinstalled everything including Pi OS, and created driver and Jack, but when I go to add lights I get the following error... Any idea ? Should I upgrade to 6.0 is currently running 5.2
Screen Shot 2023-11-13 at 1.45.08 PM.png

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I reinstalled everything including Pi OS, and created driver and Jack, but when I go to add lights I get the following error... Any idea ? Should I upgrade to 6.0 is currently running 5.2
Screen Shot 2023-11-13 at 1.45.08 PM.png
I'm running 5.2 that should be fine, something with the configuration still doesn't look right. Have you reloaded or rebooted since installing? Looks like something is still not working properly...

OP
OP
diver22

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 5.2 that should be fine, something with the configuration still doesn't look right. Have you reloaded or rebooted since installing? Looks like something is still not working properly...
Seems that when I try and select Lighting under Configuration > settings and select Update is not sticking ...

Going to reboot it...
Screen Shot 2023-11-13 at 2.02.51 PM.png

OP
OP
diver22

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok for some reason I had to reboot, my lights are back on Blue and white... lol Ok not touching this **** till I do do my moon light, so Tom just for the record I can use the second JST on the HAT for the Moon light correct and use pin ground, 12 ? After going to see if I can do the DJ power box... Stay Tune... But right now lights are rocking, not sure what I would do with out the knowledge of you guys and other on this platform.

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2023-11-13 at 2.11.04 PM.png

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok for some reason I had to reboot, my lights are back on Blue and white... lol Ok not touching this **** till I do do my moon light, so Tom just for the record I can use the second JST on the HAT for the Moon light correct and use pin ground, 12 ? After going to see if I can do the DJ power box... Stay Tune... But right now lights are rocking, not sure what I would do with out the knowledge of you guys and other on this platform.

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2023-11-13 at 2.11.04 PM.png
Woot! at least you got the lights working, I ran a separate feed to some led strips that was using a mosfet to dim the lights, if that is what you mean. If you look at the original Michael Lane thread thats what we were doing and we did just use another ground and pwm input for the moonlights, still rocking mine over my DT and works great, but you need a n level mosfet that has low voltage with the rpi.

Here is the posting that I was talking about - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/controlling-viparspectra-lights.698216/post-7492037

You can also look at the original reef-pi lighting controller since he does something similar, but if your wanting to dim a 12v led, you can use another pwm input mapped to do the same thing...

Screenshot at 2023-11-13 13-28-24.png

OP
OP
diver22

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woot! at least you got the lights working, I ran a separate feed to some led strips that was using a mosfet to dim the lights, if that is what you mean. If you look at the original Michael Lane thread thats what we were doing and we did just use another ground and pwm input for the moonlights, still rocking mine over my DT and works great, but you need a n level mosfet that has low voltage with the rpi.

Here is the posting that I was talking about - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/controlling-viparspectra-lights.698216/post-7492037

You can also look at the original reef-pi lighting controller since he does something similar, but if your wanting to dim a 12v led, you can use another pwm input mapped to do the same thing...

Screenshot at 2023-11-13 13-28-24.png
Thanks Tom yes that is exactly what I mean, if not mistaken I got the mosfet from you some time back and still have not used it. But going to start studying this for a few weeks lol. I’m sure I will be back before I do anything … but going to study that link you posted above

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Tom yes that is exactly what I mean, if not mistaken I got the mosfet from you some time back and still have not used it. But going to start studying this for a few weeks lol.
@Ranjib goes over the circuit in the lighting controller documentation - https://learn.adafruit.com/reef-pi-lighting-controller/circuit-construction its the power mosfet circuit. Read through the https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/controlling-viparspectra-lights.698216/post-7492037 where we are talking about it and if you have questions just ask. The main concern is to know how many amps you are going to be driving since the JST connector do not take a lot of amps (3a max) and wire size. This usually is not an issue if using led strips etc but keep that in mind.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back