Whitetail bristletooth tang cloudy puffy eye and puffy lips

jokerjohnson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased this fish (whitetail bristletooth tang) a few weeks ago, came in healthy looking aside from really puffy looking lips but didn’t think much of since the bristeltooths always seem to have big lips. He eats very well, but is EXTREMELY shy. Like I can’t even get a picture of him he doesn’t really come out if I’m by the tank at all.
He’s inside of a 30 gallon IM long for quarantine/observation. I currently do not dose anything it’s more observation. Now today.. I noticed his right eye is cloudy and slightly puffy now..
freaking sucks! This is the first time I’ve dealt with this. So not entirely sure the best thing to do.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Purchased this fish (whitetail bristletooth tang) a few weeks ago, came in healthy looking aside from really puffy looking lips but didn’t think much of since the bristeltooths always seem to have big lips. He eats very well, but is EXTREMELY shy. Like I can’t even get a picture of him he doesn’t really come out if I’m by the tank at all.
He’s inside of a 30 gallon IM long for quarantine/observation. I currently do not dose anything it’s more observation. Now today.. I noticed his right eye is cloudy and slightly puffy now..
freaking sucks! This is the first time I’ve dealt with this. So not entirely sure the best thing to do.
So the classic recommendation would have been treat with copper then prazipro. It's hard to say whether this is the right way now. It could be an injury - or flukes - or something else. I might suggest prazipro - plus kanamycin. The eye and lips could be unrelated - may not be treated with the above - and may be due to injuries. I'm not sure how to tell given the history. I'm sure others will weigh in

OP
OP
J

jokerjohnson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the classic recommendation would have been treat with copper then prazipro. It's hard to say whether this is the right way now. It could be an injury - or flukes - or something else. I might suggest prazipro - plus kanamycin. The eye and lips could be unrelated - may not be treated with the above - and may be due to injuries. I'm not sure how to tell given the history. I'm sure others will weigh in
Do you think I should do a freshwater dip for flukes?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pictures, or even a video would really help us - it's the magnitude of the issues that matter the most, and those are tough to judge from a written description.

Since you already have the fish in a QT, it makes sense to put it through a proactive quarantine process:

Jay

OP
OP
J

jokerjohnson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures, or even a video would really help us - it's the magnitude of the issues that matter the most, and those are tough to judge from a written description.

Since you already have the fish in a QT, it makes sense to put it through a proactive quarantine process:

Jay
These pictures were taken right before I did a 5 minute freshwater dip today.
I didn’t realize untill catching him and taking these photos that it also had some discoloration to the chin area on the fish.

Attachments

• IMG_0240.png
    IMG_0240.png
    994.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0241.jpeg
    IMG_0241.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 29

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pictures were taken right before I did a 5 minute freshwater dip today.
I didn’t realize untill catching him and taking these photos that it also had some discoloration to the chin area on the fish.

I just replied to the other thread - you might consider this:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back