Who’s up? Anyone? I have a macroalgae question.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just learned of something I didn’t know and find horrifying that macroalgae (mainly caulerpa from what I read) can go sexual and asexual and basically release all the nutrients it stored back in the tank and cloud the water…potentially crashing it? How common or rare is this? I keep lots of marcoalgae in my one tank. I know there’s a million things that can crash a tank from an anemone to a dying fish and my blue sponge I have. But now I’m wondering/worrying at 2:30 am haha.

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I just learned of something I didn’t know and find horrifying that macroalgae (mainly caulerpa from what I read) can go sexual and asexual and basically release all the nutrients it stored back in the tank and cloud the water…potentially crashing it? How common or rare is this? I keep lots of marcoalgae in my one tank. I know there’s a million things that can crash a tank from an anemone to a dying fish and my blue sponge I have. But now I’m wondering/worrying at 2:30 am haha.
prune your caulerpa, it usually happens if it's unhappy or if your caulerpa grows unregulated.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept caulerpa for almost a year now with no problems but I now keep it under lights 24/7. Apparently if a chunk turns white it is about to go sexual (apparently in about a 24hrs) and you'll want to prune that bit off.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've kept caulerpa for almost a year now with no problems but I now keep it under lights 24/7. Apparently if a chunk turns white it is about to go sexual (apparently in about a 24hrs) and you'll want to prune that bit off.
That’s dead macroalgae then and this has not been my experience lol.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 57 42.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 66 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.9%
Back