Who came up with 76-78 temps?

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to this article our world reefs operate at a wider range then preached dogma. Perhaps lower temps should be a thing.

Spoke with an individual who’s been in the industry several decades and keeps his reef tanks closer to 70 than 78. Mentioned that in the hottest reefs the temp is considerably cooler at depths most fish and coral found. Outside of shallows. The temp doesn’t get near 76. More oxygen. Plus he mentioned less chance of finding pathogens such as Ich. He’s dove reefs around the world and speaking first hand.

Removing the heater from the equation might work in most homes where room temp 69 to 72 such as mine.

IMG_3801.png

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
W
According to this article our world reefs operate at a wider range then preached dogma. Perhaps lower temps should be a thing.

Spoke with an individual who’s been in the industry several decades and keeps his reef tanks closer to 70 than 78. Mentioned that in the hottest reefs the temp is considerably cooler at depths most fish and coral found. Outside of shallows. The temp doesn’t get near 76. More oxygen. Plus he mentioned less chance of finding pathogens such as Ich. He’s dove reefs around the world and speaking first hand.

Removing the heater from the equation might work in most homes where room temp 69 to 72 such as mine.

IMG_3801.png

Who knows

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe that’s the median best average temperature for most corals we keep?

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe that’s the median best average temperature for most corals we keep?
Why I'm curious because based on what I was told and the source seems very credible to me then we could eliminate one of the biggest concerns we have being heaters failing. Increased oxygen levels. Cushion should power go out and room temps rise as it would take longer before tank reaches critical levels.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't do it.

I keep mine at 76ish.
Based following the industry guidelines or because lower wasn't beneficial. Perhaps those involved in coral farms around the world have seen deviations since it's expensive to keep everything at 76-78.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ran tanks as low as 72 degrees (fowlr) with no long term issues. Current SPS cube is running at 74 with no problems.
That's what I'm seeking. Those outside the norm of what was established by someone we don't know yet actual experience showing it's practical.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I stress that the fish might break out with something below 77, but more importantly its about keeping it stable rather than specific.

In nature however, when shorkeling, I experienced sudden changes in temperature as do the fish swimming around me. Tidal pools get extremely soupy and then the water comes in and the temp might drop 10-20 degrees or more.

Who knows.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of reefing knowledge and wisdoms come from the trial and error of hobbyists experimenting decades ago. I remember back in the 90’s when SPS was very seldom kept, and hard to get thriving. Same thing with gonis, which took a long time to see success in reef tanks. The trial and error, experimenting, etc. over the years cultivated new techniques and knowledge that made these corals capable of surviving in aquariums.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the commonly discussed temperature ranges were the result of this same trial and error process. With different corals doing well on the lower side of the wide range and others commonly found near the higher, maybe the 76-78 range is just the “sweet spot” where corals from across the temperature range can function.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of reefing knowledge and wisdoms come from the trial and error of hobbyists experimenting decades ago. I remember back in the 90’s when SPS was very seldom kept, and hard to get thriving. Same thing with gonis, which took a long time to see success in reef tanks.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the commonly discussed temperature ranges were the result of this same trial and error process. With different corals doing well on the lower side of the wide range and others commonly found near the higher, maybe the 76-78 range is just the “sweet spot” where corals from across the temperature range can function.
That was my thinking as well as even in the 70 fresh or salt 78 seemed the sweet spot. Yet now I can't find actual studies showing 76-78 being optimal. Hobby very anecdotal to the point we lose track of where it was founded.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the 76-78 is a range that most people can consistently achieve and is acceptable to the corals and fish. Much of the reefing community would struggle to keep temperatures below this without chillers. Tanks generally run considerably warmer than room temperatures due to pumps and lighting.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 72 44.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.7%
Back