Who do I need to rehome?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DracoKat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
May 12, 2015
Messages
2,787
Reaction score
2,514
Location
Lawnguyland, NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seriously considering switching my 75g reef to a seahorse tank. After owning Dwarf seahorses for a few weeks, I want the big guys too.

I need to change my tank for them, mainly the current stock, please advise if I can keep or get rid of.

Magnificant Foxface
2 clownfish
Wrasse (Forget the name of it)
Bristletooth tang
Engineer Goby (Might keep this one, he stays under the rock anyway)
Starry Blenny
Flame Hawkfish

My corals are mostly softies, but running down anyway:
Galaxia (This has to go I assume)
Duncan
Toadstool
Palys
Gorgonian (Def saf)
Hammer

I do have aptasia. Once the fish is gone, I'll get a handful of peppermint shrimp to keep the aptasias at bay.

Whatcha think, please?
 
I would keep the clowns, goby, and foxface. As long as you don’t have any stinging coral they will love it. Also be careful with the peppermint shrimp make sure the actual peppermint shrimp and not camel shrimp, peppermints are reef safe and camels are not!!!! Pet stores get them mixed up all the time.
 
I am seriously considering switching my 75g reef to a seahorse tank. After owning Dwarf seahorses for a few weeks, I want the big guys too.

I need to change my tank for them, mainly the current stock, please advise if I can keep or get rid of.

Magnificant Foxface
2 clownfish
Wrasse (Forget the name of it)
Bristletooth tang
Engineer Goby (Might keep this one, he stays under the rock anyway)
Starry Blenny
Flame Hawkfish

My corals are mostly softies, but running down anyway:
Galaxia (This has to go I assume)
Duncan
Toadstool
Palys
Gorgonian (Def saf)
Hammer

I do have aptasia. Once the fish is gone, I'll get a handful of peppermint shrimp to keep the aptasias at bay.

Whatcha think, please?
Wait you have seahorses in your tank with fish? How are they doing?
 
My clowns a
Wait you have seahorses in your tank with fish? How are they doing?
No, I don't have the horses yet, I am considering the switch to the seahorses. Sorry for the confusion! I am in the planning and revising stage now for them.

I do have dwarf seahorses in another tank.

I would keep the clowns, goby, and foxface. As long as you don’t have any stinging coral they will love it. Also be careful with the peppermint shrimp make sure the actual peppermint shrimp and not camel shrimp, peppermints are reef safe and camels are not!!!! Pet stores get them mixed up all the time.


Foxface will be okay with seahorses? Was a bit surprised to hear you'd keep it (And glad, its my favorite fish, shh, don't tell the others!)
 
My clowns a

No, I don't have the horses yet, I am considering the switch to the seahorses. Sorry for the confusion! I am in the planning and revising stage now for them.

I do have dwarf seahorses in another tank.




Foxface will be okay with seahorses? Was a bit surprised to hear you'd keep it (And glad, its my favorite fish, shh, don't tell the others!)
Oh no haha I don’t have any experience but no do want some dragon pipefish for my tank. I’m scared my dwarf angels will beat him up though
 
I would think it would hard to feed the seahorses with any aggressive feeders in the aquarium. Especially clowns
 
@vlangel has a 6 part "Keeping Seahorses in Aquaria" in the sticky of the Seahorse & pipefish form. The Galaxia and hammer WILL have to go they will sting and kill your seahorses.
@Lionfish Lair has a "Seahorse tankmates guide fish" in the Seahorse & pipefish form. I suggest you look at them.
 
Also
#1 how tall is your tank? The greater species of seahorses need at least 18" of WATER.
#2 What temp do you keep your tank at? Seahorses need a temp 70-74°F with 74°F MAX as every degree overflow 74°F a dangerous bacteria multiplies exponentially faster. A chiller may be needed.

Seahorse are recommend to keep in a species only tank do to there specific needs.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new