Who do you call when you want a species that is not regularly (if at all) in the trade?

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a number of smaller vendors based in Florida (for U.S. folks) that can generally fill requests for specific species of whatever (fish, coral, shrimp, etc.), even if those aren't regularly listed and so long as they can legally collect them. Does something like this exist for pacific collectors? It seems that we are at the mercy of a couple large wholesalers who mostly cater to mass sales. There are so many interesting species that almost nobody keeps (even entire types of animals like bryozoans and tunicates), so it is hard to source them even though they may come into a store on accident sometimes. I assume if this does not exist it is due to logistics. It's easier to ship from Florida than it is from Fiji, obviously, making a small diver direct business model a lot simpler from there.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a number of smaller vendors based in Florida (for U.S. folks) that can generally fill requests for specific species of whatever (fish, coral, shrimp, etc.), even if those aren't regularly listed and so long as they can legally collect them. Does something like this exist for pacific collectors? It seems that we are at the mercy of a couple large wholesalers who mostly cater to mass sales. There are so many interesting species that almost nobody keeps (even entire types of animals like bryozoans and tunicates), so it is hard to source them even though they may come into a store on accident sometimes. I assume if this does not exist it is due to logistics. It's easier to ship from Florida than it is from Fiji, obviously, making a small diver direct business model a lot simpler from there.
This is actually similar to something I posted a while back...as long as you're willing to pay it seems it shouldn't be as difficult as I remember it being in the States...that's why while I'm over here in Asia where they can get some really beautiful rarely seen fish I plan on taking advantage of the unique opportunity I'm in

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it gets complicated coordinating with the importers and even all the way down to the collection company's business ties to ship all the way to America and I imagine Europe...just for example, I heard at least several butterflies are hardly imported at all due to their fragility and diet in some cases which is a shame because there are definitely people who want them and are able to take care of them but just are never able to find one...I imagine the same goes for other species as well

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I had a rare request, I would probably contact @Eric Cohen. If anyone would know if bringing in a fish is doable, I'd think it would be him.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drop a message on our local Michigan Facebook for coral. I don't know about other places but Michigan has really nice frag vendors in nearly every zip code and a few of them too.

If you've got the cash one of these guys will have what you want, it's ridiculous. I can drive 15 minutes in any direction and be in any one of 7 legit basement coral farms nevermind the big ones like cherry corals, motor city..

All my Michigan guys and girls know what I'm talking bout.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing at the moment, just had the thought cross my mind. If such a service exists I definitely would make use of it in the future though.
Run it by me and we can all hope it’s something I can get. Doesn’t hurt to check with a few different sources.

Back