Who else has an engineer goby?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I didn't plan to get one, but the kids and I set out to explore all the great stores around LA (Thanks for the amazing suggestions @terraincognita!) , and we found a really healthy one at Mark's Tropical Fish, and we had to bring him home with us. The kids named him Billy the Eel before we ever got out of the store. I figured he'd be a fun addition since I need someone to stir my sand bed a bit, and I've got a solid rock structure. We haven't seen him in the last couple of days, but the evidence of his happy work is all around so we figure he's fine (and doing a great job with the sand bed stirring). I'm pretty excited about the new addition!

Who else is keeping one of these guys? What's been your experience?

Btw, I forgot to take a pic of Billy before he started digging, but here's a great photo by @wooglins!
1.jpg

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great fish with lots of personality. I've had mine about 5 years or so. Moves the sand around big time - wouldn't dream of keeping any other corals/creatures that occupy the bottom area of the tank he lives in.

I estimate mine is about 1' - 1'2" long. Heres an old pic from a few years ago for fun.

20190711_191739.jpg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've had one for about a year and never see it except at feeding time. Sometimes I'll play tug o war with it with some food just so we can see the thing!

ButteMTDIY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a couple of juveniles for a few months. They've never been shy about coming out but they seem to do all their work after dark. Starting to get their adult pattern. Cool to watch the change.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great fish with lots of personality. I've had mine about 5 years or so. Moves the sand around big time - wouldn't dream of keeping any other corals/creatures that occupy the bottom area of the tank he lives in.

I estimate mine is about 1' - 1'2" long. Heres an old pic from a few years ago for fun.

20190711_191739.jpg
That's a big dude!

Ajayabb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a pair that are 2 years old now and measure about 5 inches long. They burrow under the rocks and sift a ton of sand in the evening each night. Can be a bit of a pain moving sand back into place but they keep the sand free of diatoms and cyano.

Scott's reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a baby and after two days I sadly never seen him again. Actually heartbroken because I fell in love with him.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a couple for years. They are very personable and throw sand everywhere, including possibly on that clam in the pic.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine is about 12”

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daniel I live in la and was thinking of visiting a bunch of stores. Which ones do you recommend. I’ve been visiting Ellis Aquatics for the last 2 years

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 in my 125 for the past 4 years. They're constantly closing old tunnels and opening new ones. They rarely come out completely any more, but they are massive. I think they are a mated pair just because they are always together and Greg is larger than Mazey. If I had to make a conservative guess, I'd say Greg is 14" and Mazey is 12". Greg is nearly as big around as my thumb. They can definitely make a mess, but I love em. It's a real treat when they occasionally show themselves.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Daniel I live in la and was thinking of visiting a bunch of stores. Which ones do you recommend. I’ve been visiting Ellis Aquatics for the last 2 years
I followed @terraincognita's suggestions. This is what she shared in another thread:
Yo’s Aquarium in Hollywood has AMAZING prices on common shrimp and other inverts.

I think he also has a private azn connection and gets some amazing frags and colonies for really cheap (AZN pride) I get most of my start up fish

Be sure to QT these fish though 100%
—-

Mark’s in NoHo has the best price on carpet nem’s always priced around 60-80

——

Aquarium city in Canoga park which also is very close to my home thankfully has awesome fish prices.

I treat all their fish as diseased when I get them,whether or not they are as they have a big wall system with all the same water, and I’m you’ll always find 1 fish with something going on.....

A lot of local reefers also frag out to this store and if you frequent it enough (like I do) you. Can get some really neat and awesome sps or other softie frags for $20 only!
——-

there’s a super small shop alllll the way out in riverside, I forget the name but he sells some nice softy colonies, lobos and trachy for $80-100

otherwise for the prettiest ones I always wait for Vivid Aquariums or Golden State Corals to have a sale!

LAX aquarium has the biggest selection, and every now and then you can get a nice deal on some bigger frags. But mostly they’re higher end of fair market pricing.

——
another store way out in Pasadena has often more unique and rare items like mantis shrimp and other inverts, he also is one of the only to carry Expensive scollies in store.

stores not very well maintained, not sure if the pandemic had anything to do with it? But back in 2011 it was in my top 5. Now not so much beyond the fact he still has the more unique species IMO.

lastly deep blue has great 5 frag for $100 zoa tank.

best zoa collection I’ve ever seen

Her suggestions were solid. I will say that I really liked Golden State Corals and Vivid Aquariums a lot. Mark's had a good selection of fish too.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed @terraincognita's suggestions. This is what she shared in another thread:

Her suggestions were solid. I will say that I really liked Golden State Corals and Vivid Aquariums a lot. Mark's had a good selection of fish too.
My brother used to be one of the main men at vivid. Dave’s a great guy

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 153 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back