Who is eating my starfish!?!

CheyenneL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are new to reef tanks and have a Clarkii Clown, Black Blenny, Mandarin Goby and Fire Clown along with a clean up crew including a Banded Coral Shrimp and a Red Thorny Sea Star. It all started when we added the African Biscuit Star and found the Red Thorny on top of him eating him. We assumed the Red Thorny had done the deed and killed him and rehomed the Red Thorny to save my Serpant Star. Woke up this morning to my Serpant Star half eaten with no culprit in sight. Could my Blenny be eating my Starfish? He is a vivacious eating but gets fed twice a day with flakes and brine shrimp. Any help in the possibly culprit?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Can't help on current question but I'm sure someone will chime in soon.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are new to reef tanks and have a Clarkii Clown, Black Blenny, Mandarin Goby and Fire Clown along with a clean up crew including a Banded Coral Shrimp and a Red Thorny Sea Star. It all started when we added the African Biscuit Star and found the Red Thorny on top of him eating him. We assumed the Red Thorny had done the deed and killed him and rehomed the Red Thorny to save my Serpant Star. Woke up this morning to my Serpant Star half eaten with no culprit in sight. Could my Blenny be eating my Starfish? He is a vivacious eating but gets fed twice a day with flakes and brine shrimp. Any help in the possibly culprit?
Welcome to Reef2Reef and sorry for your troubles!

It's incredibly unlikely that any of your fish or shrimp would be eating healthy stars. Do you have any pics of the dead/dying stars?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starfish are delicate creatures that don't do well in new tanks. They should only be added to very established systems and even then are hard to sustain long term. Your fish are not eating live starfish. My banded shrimp never bothered them either.

OP
OP
C

CheyenneL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef and sorry for your troubles!

It's incredibly unlikely that any of your fish or shrimp would be eating healthy stars. Do you have any pics of the dead/dying stars?
IMG_0780.jpeg

This was my serpent star this morning. We noticed he had a small amount missing last night but was still alive this morning he had much more taken from him and had passed. The African Biscuit was missing more of his middle disc and a whole leg had been taken off.

OP
OP
C

CheyenneL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starfish are delicate creatures that don't do well in new tanks. They should only be added to very established systems and even then are hard to sustain long term. Your fish are not eating live starfish.
I had the Red Thorny Star for over a month before this happened and my African Biscuit Star had a leg removed which my shrimp found and very much appreciated. I don’t understand how if it is water quality that they are getting their legs pulled and middle disc presumably eaten in half.

OP
OP
C

CheyenneL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be that the Starfish were actually not doing as well as they appeared and the others just took advantage of a slowly dying meal?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the Red Thorny Star for over a month before this happened and my African Biscuit Star had a leg removed which my shrimp found and very much appreciated. I don’t understand how if it is water quality that they are getting their legs pulled and middle disc presumably eaten in half.
I've had an orange starfish and a serpent like yours for multiple years now with 12 fish, banded shrimp, etc... with no aggression issues but like anything in nature if the animal is dead or very weak dying then something else may take advantage of an easy meal.

How old is your tank?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found in the past with serpent stars even in well-established tanks you need to direct feed them from time to time, I had 3 in 2 tanks a piece of seafood once or twice a week is well appreciated. As for other types of stars they are harder and only well-established large tanks are needed even then its a gamble. Stars that exist on biofilm are hard to care for properly.

OP
OP
C

CheyenneL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an orange starfish and a serpent like yours for multiple years now with 12 fish, banded shrimp, etc... with no aggression issues but like anything in nature if the animal is dead or very weak dying then something else may take advantage of an easy meal.

How old is your tank?
Our tank is around 2 months old and has gone through its cycle with the brown algae. After reading everyone’s comments I think we preemptively added the starfish before our tank was well enough established.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our tank is around 2 months old and has gone through its cycle with the brown algae. After reading everyone’s comments I think we preemptively added the starfish before our tank was well enough established.
Red thorny sea stars are not considered reef safe and will eat other stars, clams, coral as they grow.
The biscuit star is a biofilm grazer.
The serpent star will eat meaty foods and is considered reef safe with caution.

OP
OP
C

CheyenneL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be very worried about the mandarin if your tank is only 2 months old...they eat a TON of copepods. How big is the tank?
36gal Is that something that can be bought for supplemental feeding? We were told he’d be fine on brine shrimp from the lady we bought pretty much our whole tank from.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back