Who is eating my starfish!?!

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
36gal Is that something that can be bought for supplemental feeding? We were told he’d be fine on brine shrimp from the lady we bought pretty much our whole tank from.
As long as its eating brine shrimp and you can get it to him before the other fish eat it and enough times a day. Use enriched brine as there is little value in regular adult brine shrimp. Id look into adding pods every once in a while also. Arctipods is a good prepared food for fish like this if they will eat it.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sea biscuits are awesome looking but a cooler water species. They need temps around 75F which isn’t compatible with my other inhabitants

OP
OP
C

CheyenneL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as its eating brine shrimp and you can get it to him before the other fish eat it and enough times a day. Use enriched brine as there is little value in regular adult brine shrimp. Id look into adding pods every once in a while also. Arctipods is a good prepared food for fish like this if they will eat it.
Thank you so much for the info. I’ll be placing an order today. You all have been so great in helping educate me on this matter.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
36gal Is that something that can be bought for supplemental feeding? We were told he’d be fine on brine shrimp from the lady we bought pretty much our whole tank from.
While this should be fine you need to make sure to feed multiple times per day. Mandarin have a fast digestive system. In ideal situations they feed on copepods non stop all day.

OP
OP
C

CheyenneL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this should be fine you need to make sure to feed multiple times per day. Mandarin have a fast digestive system. In ideal situations they feed on copepods non stop all day.
Do you by chance know the correct environment to grow copepods? I plan on getting some this weekend if not today for him and if I got a large quantity would they reproduce in my tank?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you by chance know the correct environment to grow copepods? I plan on getting some this weekend if not today for him and if I got a large quantity would they reproduce in my tank?
Mandarin can eat them by the 1000s every week. You can cultivate your own pods separately. I've had my Mandarin for 2 years now in a very well established system and I still add a jar of pods weekly. He occasionally nibbles frozen food and ova eggs but pods is the the primary food source. This is another animal that should only be added to established systems usually around one year at least.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you growing macro algae? A larger established tank can maintain the supply on its own. With a tank your size you just need some maturity and algae to eat.

Pods are next to impossible to keep out of a system. I would just add some and then dose live phyto. Phyto had multiple benefits for a system and will feed you copepod population at the same time.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is your mandarin captive bred and eating mysis/brine shrimp? If so I would worry less about a heavy pod population. You can add phyto to keep pods around certain levels.

OP
OP
C

CheyenneL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your mandarin captive bred and eating mysis/brine shrimp? If so I would worry less about a heavy pod population. You can add phyto to keep pods around certain levels.
Yes he is eating the brine shrimp and active during the evening periods when the lights are lower.

OP
OP
C

CheyenneL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you growing macro algae? A larger established tank can maintain the supply on its own. With a tank your size you just need some maturity and algae to eat.

Pods are next to impossible to keep out of a system. I would just add some and then dose live phyto. Phyto had multiple benefits for a system and will feed you copepod population at the same time.
We are not growing macro algae as of yet but can get some this weekend if needed. My boyfriend was just looking and said he found a pod house? Where they can live and reproduce? I thought if we got something like that and dosed with the phyto we could get the pod colony started. Is there any worry with having an infestation of the pods? I know my Mandarin will eat them but would this also be a good food source for my clean up crew?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are not growing macro algae as of yet but can get some this weekend if needed. My boyfriend was just looking and said he found a pod house? Where they can live and reproduce? I thought if we got something like that and dosed with the phyto we could get the pod colony started. Is there any worry with having an infestation of the pods? I know my Mandarin will eat them but would this also be a good food source for my clean up crew?
Pods are just beneficial all around for a tank. The more the better.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pod house would help but it’s really not much different than life rock. People usually put those in a sump when they don’t have rock for pods to live in

You won’t have an infestation of pods. With or without the mandarin

OP
OP
C

CheyenneL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your help! I appreciate the educational comments and will be taking a deeper dive into the base environment of my tank so hopefully we don’t have anymore casualties and everyone can thrive.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect! Thank you so much for all your help
Their population self regulates based on tank conditions, food and predators. One month you see tons, next month none then they come back again. Its fine to seed the tank with a few jars to start. No pod hotel needed if you have good rock scape.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, keep in mind some LFS don't know or don't care and only want to sell you stuff. Other LFS are very knowledgeable and helpful and can guide you well. Always Google research inverts, fish, coral, supplements, etc... before committing them to your tank. I highly recommend you medicinally QT fish first or buy from a vendor that does their own in house QT before adding to your tank. You can always ask questions on this site and will get lots of very knowledgeable people to help you also.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back