Who else has finicky fish?

3rdMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New reefer here. My tanks only 4 months old and I’ve got 2 clowns, a benggai Cardinal, a yellow tang and a lawnmower blenny. And ALL they’ll eat is frozen brine and nori sheets. I’ve bought Seaweed Extreme pellets, Saki-Hari Marine carnivore pellets, Hikari Spirulina (vitamin enriched) freeze dried brine, Canadian Mysis, Hikari algae wafers, Omega One Marine (vitamin enriched) frozen but unless it’s frozen brine shrimp and Nori sheets, they just swim right past it. I’ve taken to soaking the nori and frozen brine in Selcon just to try and get at least some vitamins into them. Id rather not keep buying fish food that just sits on the counter or in the freezer uneaten, but I will if I have to. Has anyone else dealt with this? What’s worked for you?

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mix it in with food they like a feed for a week. Don't feed for a few days and then feed the food you want, a hungry fish is less picky.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are spoiled and finicky too. The nori has all the vitamins and minerals needed. So you are covered. On the dry food just try to sprinkle some in here and there to get them used to it with there regular frozen food or later after dinner for a snack. Thats what i did. This was only to get them used to alt food so i could use feeder when not at home. Some may not bother to eat and only feed off reef.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends a lot on the fish. Lawnmower blenny is quite a picky eater regardless, and probably not going to take food from the water column. Tangs can easily thrive on nori alone, though over time if you persist with things like frozen mysis it will likely take that. Banggai cardinals can be picky, though usually they will take to a variety of frozen over time. Clowns are usually garbage cans so …...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back