Who forgets to turn on equipment after a water change?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So not the first time I have forgotten to turn on important equipment after a water change. I forgot to turn on my rerun pump last night my tank dropped 7 degrees. Everyone seems good. Not the first time. Who else has forgotten to turn on equipment or plug it back in? I can’t be the only one who occasionally forgets. Most of the time I remember but I guess when I turned all my other equipment back on I missed the return pump. I always remember the ocean has fluctuations and is unpredictable too and as much as I hate power outages in my experience anywhere from 6-10 hours without power or vital equipment is okay. I try not to push it and I am going to buy a portable generator since it scares me every time I lose power which is not often.

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the exact reason I bought an apex system.

I was turning off my return pump during feeding, one day forgot to turn it back on. No filtration, no heat, no oxygenation.

Scrared the bejesus out of me. Now I just use a feed mode, and everything turns back on after 10 minutes automatically.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to turn my ro/di off twice. I have the float switch so the flooding wasnt terrible but what a waste of money.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everyone has.

A good tool to use to help with this is making a check list to go over for tasks like this.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sometimes I walk in the house and have to go back outside to ask my Gal what I went in to get. So yep been there done that. It's usually skimmer or ato.
Same issue w the skimmer. Bad tho cause I only have a heater return pump and skimmer in the sump, squirrel!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately it has never happened to me......the first thing I do after maintenance is scan all of my Apex sliders to make sure everything is on auto lol. Has just become habit over the years.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Over a nearly 40 year span in the hobby, I've done it many times. Don't remember anything really bad happening. Tank dropping a few degrees was about it.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set a timer now on my phone to go off. Way too hard not to get distracted by other things and completely forget.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to turn my ro/di off twice. I have the float switch so the flooding wasnt terrible but what a waste of money.
I've almost forgotten to turn my rodi off multiple times

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn off my ATO when I shut off the return pump when feeding corals to keep the alarm from going off the whole time. I have at times, forgotten to turn the ATO back on once I turn the rest back on.

It hasn't happened in a while since I'm paranoid about it now.

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water changes are automatic these days (insert smugness here), but it was a frequent problem when I was doing things manually. Not so much with the tank, but with the RODI unit. Now that I have a controller with optic level sensors and backup float switches things are so much more pain free.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to AWC, I don't have to worry about that.
Before then, I set up my sump to do live water changes. Water came out of the overflow as I dumped in water to the sump. I would do 6, 12, or 18 gallon water changes in 5 minutes. Never had to turn anything off.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately it has never happened to me......the first thing I do after maintenance is scan all of my Apex sliders to make sure everything is on auto lol. Has just become habit over the years.
Same lol

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is the exact reason I bought an apex system.

I was turning off my return pump during feeding, one day forgot to turn it back on. No filtration, no heat, no oxygenation.

Scrared the bejesus out of me. Now I just use a feed mode, and everything turns back on after 10 minutes automatically.
I have an Apex too and still forget sometimes lol!

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I fell back asleep, after my alarm woke me up to turn off a direct line going from the Rodi to My new set up, I woke up to about 30g of water going down the hallway into the kitchen…
Been there done that. Except in my case I had someone at school turn the RODI back on and the float valve got flipped up and it ended up flooding the maintenance closet which happens to be the electrical room. Thank god I went to school that weekend and no damage was done but if I hadn’t that would’ve been a major fire hazard, insurance claim, and end of the school fish tank. The other times it’s been in the sink at home or briefly flooded my floor and not made a major mess.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back