Who has owned an Orange Spotted Filefish (OSFF)?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I adore these fish...

osffround.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not I but they sure are gorgeous!

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely one of my faves and number 1 in the don't attempt category

M&M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorites fish, here is my pair I got from DD. Did very well for about a year, then I sold it when moving to another house.

orangespotted filefish pair.jpg

horseplay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine for about 4 months now. Great fish. You do need a fairly large tank for them. Mine swims a lot. Also they need to be fed as much as possible.

M&M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What method did you use to get them feeding and how were they with coral?
They were from DD, so when I got them they were eating frozen already. Trick is to feed them often, so they keep their weight. I had a mixed coral tank with them ,including SPS, I never witnessed any picking of coral at all.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in my biocube and he died after about 2 months. He was eating great but loosing weight and I'm sure what happened. I fed blackworms, whiteworms, clams, and mysis three times a day if possible.
This is how I got him eating.
image.png

It's just an upside down pipettes with some holes in it. Blackworms will die in saltwater but the whiteworms will live for a while. He couldn't resist them.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was mine is his training tank. I used live Acro and skeletons. I smushed the frozen foods and what not on the skeletons.

orangespotcheckingitout900.jpg
Thats the method I have seen used frequently to feed them. These my dream fish that I have always wanted, I think I might try them next upgrade

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of trying some from Diver's den next time. It was a LOT of work, but also a huge sense of accomplishment.

I originally had 2 and the male died after a couple of weeks. I believe he had a parasite or something. At the time, I wasn't sure if the behavior I was seeing was normal or not and not enough people had them to tell me. You can see the male in the background rubbing his snout of the coral skeleton. He kept doing it to the same area of the coral, so I wasn't sure if it was something he was doing for his chick. In the future, I'm only going to keep one. The girl's life was easier with him gone.

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've often contemplated grabbing a nice specimen from DD after my acropora has grown into mature colonies, but I don't know if I'd actually do it.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I don't know if I would do it either, unless my tank was super large It's also an accomplishment to get your coral to grow and mature, so it would be a toss up.

This was the only fish my Mom liked... she doesn't like the hobby much at all. Everytime she saw it would would say, "Gosh, that is just beautiful". She didn't care who else ate, but... "Did you feed that pretty one yet? Get to it!".

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in my biocube and he died after about 2 months. He was eating great but loosing weight and I'm sure what happened. I fed blackworms, whiteworms, clams, and mysis three times a day if possible.
This is how I got him eating.
image.png

It's just an upside down pipettes with some holes in it. Blackworms will die in saltwater but the whiteworms will live for a while. He couldn't resist them.

I've never used white worms. I'll have to try that.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that is indeed true sundog.

Mine loved New Life Spectrum pellets. I would have to feed her everything else first to make sure she got all her nutrients, before adding the pellets. Once the pellets dropped down, girlfriend ignored everything else.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got this fish, I posted in a different forum under their breeding section to try and avoid some of the flames. At the time, there was no way I was putting it in the general fish section. I wanted to share my experiences, but I was not in the mood to defend my purchase at every turn.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back