Who has too much in their tank?

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to stock up on the cheap. I am willing to pay, but would like to grab some frags from locals that need to do a little pruning.

Anybody getting close to a coral cutting day?

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I sure would. When and where? You can send me a PM.
You can see some of my corals in the full tank shot here.

Mg7LFr01QQO8eU2bk5z%aQ.jpg

OP
OP
BornHandy

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see some of my corals in the full tank shot here.

Mg7LFr01QQO8eU2bk5z%aQ.jpg
I am not super experienced with SPS, so I will need some "easy" specimens. I'll take your advice on that.

I have a 75G with a pair of Kessil A360's along with a pair of HO T-5's . I am dosing kalk, and use a controller to maintain temp.

Hopefully, that tells you enough to be able to advise me on good "starters".

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You obviously have enough light. Do you have an ATO? As you may know, the stability is the key. I have some SPS's that are tough and good for beginners and so does Harry the troll.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good. I understand that osmolator is a great ATO.s,

Are your pH and alkalinity stable? SPS's use a lot of HCO3 to build their skeletons, and alkalinity can go down quickly. When I started keeping SPS's, I was surprised how fast alkalinity could decrease. Both pH and alkalinity were quite stable when I only had softies.

OP
OP
BornHandy

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good. I understand that osmolator is a great ATO.s,

Are your pH and alkalinity stable? SPS's use a lot of HCO3 to build their skeletons, and alkalinity can go down quickly. When I started keeping SPS's, I was surprised how fast alkalinity could decrease. Both pH and alkalinity were quite stable when I only had softies.
My pH has a pretty big swing from day to night - much higher at night (that refugium is a big help). I just started using a dosing pump to put a little kalk in off and on during the day (yesterday, actually). I have been seeing 7.9-ish for daytime, and 8.2-ish at night. I don't test Calcium or Alkalinity all that much (I just wasn't seeing much difference from one test to another). I am due for another round of testing - probably tonight.

My intent was to increase testing frequency (dosing as needed) as stony coral numbers increase, but I just don't have many right now.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pH swing of 7.9 to 8.2 does not concern me much. Mine can swing that much, too. Although I have a lot of chaetomorpha in my refugium, my pH is usually lower in the morning. It's back up to something like 8.2 in the late afternoon.
A dosing pump should help to keep the alkalinity stable. Are you using a controller for dosing as well?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back