Who here is using the alkatronic?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since my Mindstream turned into a paperweight, I've been looking at getting another automatic testing unit. I'm thinking at this point that I'll probably go with the alkatronic. For those of you using it, how have you liked yours?

Last edited:

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one for around a year or so, love it. I liked it enough to buy the Dosetronic to dose based on the Alkatronic's readings. Reagent is fairly inexpensive and close to free if you DIY. I haven't replaced any parts yet, everything still works great testing 8 times a day.

The only thing I'd change about it is the sound, it's the loudest piece of equipment on the tank. It's much quiter with the new firmware and quiet kit, but I still hear it if I'm in the room and it's testing. It's quiet enough where I don't need to change the TV or conference call volume, but it's definitely not silent.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to do the DIY reagent. That's one of the draws for me.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have a lot of detailed documentation about the Alkatronic on their support site. If you're interested in seeing how it works, potential maintenance, the app, etc., the docs are worth the read http://www.focustronic.net/manuals

Before I bought the Alkatronic, I was interested in other products that tested more parameters. I've since come to agree with this doc. http://www.focustronic.net/media/wysiwyg/2019-01-31_Relationship_between_dKH_Ca_Mg.pdf I've used 3 part and am now using TM All for Reef, my experience has been that Ca and Mg are where I want them to be when the alk is where I want:)

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my Mindstream turned into a paperweight, I've been looking at getting another automatic testing unit. I'm thinking at this point that I'll probably go with the alkatronic. For those of you using it, how have you liked yours?

Did you decide on getting an Alkatronic?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you decide on getting an Alkatronic?
I did! I just got it. Haven't gotten to set it up yet.

20200609_164028.jpg

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did! I just got it. Haven't gotten to set it up yet.

20200609_164028.jpg

Nice you're gonna love it. Setup with iOS is best. Trick for wifi is once you get the wifi info saved, close the iOS app and I suggest even restarting your phone.

Look at your wifi to see if you see the Alkatronic there before opening the app again. If you do, give it a little bit to register in the cloud. Do not immediately open the app. You should restart the Alkatronic the same time your restart your phone/iPad. I've done this and never have issue connecting to wifi.

NOTE: I say trick for wifi because when you connect using BT, wifi doesn't function intentionally. So I mainly use BT when doing maintenance but web for everything else.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice you're gonna love it. Setup with iOS is best. Trick for wifi is once you get the wifi info saved, close the iOS app and I suggest even restarting your phone.

Look at your wifi to see if you see the Alkatronic there before opening the app again. If you do, give it a little bit to register in the cloud. Do not immediately open the app. You should restart the Alkatronic the same time your restart your phone/iPad. I've done this and never have issue connecting to wifi.
Cool. Any idea if it's the same with Android?

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Any idea if it's the same with Android?

I've setup using Android once. There is an app that you download from the store to setup. It wasn't difficult if you have any computer literacy. Just follow the instructions and you will be fine. Not rocket science. I do suggest that once you enter wifi to check your router to confirm that you see the Alkatronic. When you see it there, do nothing else. Do not trying to force anything. Once your router assigns it an address, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing else you need to do.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've setup using Android once. There is an app that you download from the store to setup. It wasn't difficult if you have any computer literacy. Just follow the instructions and you will be fine. Not rocket science. I do suggest that once you enter wifi to check your router to confirm that you see the Alkatronic. When you see it there, do nothing else. Do not trying to force anything. Once your router assigns it an address, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing else you need to do.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. That'll be very helpful in setup.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to do the DIY reagent. That's one of the draws for me.
There are quite a few ways to DIY your own reagent. I've used hydrochloric acid, citric acid and now back to 0.1N sulfuric acid. All great and cheap options.

I also use android and after setting it up and transferring from ble to wifi, I was never able to get back in via ble. Not a big deal because you can do everything via wifi. I tried to pursue a fix for it, but went in circles with their support... no biggie... other than that, as long as you calibrate pumps and probes at the proper intervals, you'll have no problem with it.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are quite a few ways to DIY your own reagent. I've used hydrochloric acid, citric acid and now back to 0.1N sulfuric acid. All great and cheap options.

I also use android and after setting it up and transferring from ble to wifi, I was never able to get back in via ble. Not a big deal because you can do everything via wifi. I tried to pursue a fix for it, but went in circles with their support... no biggie... other than that, as long as you calibrate pumps and probes at the proper intervals, you'll have no problem with it.
Thanks so much for the help. I've been reading the DIY reagent thread, and it looks like the 0.1 sulfuric acid is the way to go from what I'm understanding. Did I understand correctly that you can have the waste water feed back into the sump without problems?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the total water volume of the tank for potential issues. Normal size of tank with normal testing frequency - no rational issue. Nano tank testing lots of times per day, probably not the best idea.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depends on the total water volume of the tank for potential issues. Normal size of tank with normal testing frequency - no rational issue. Nano tank testing lots of times per day, probably not the best idea.
I've got a 50g

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am thinking about this unit. It seems that there is lots of maintenance like pump calibrations, tubing replacements etc. Do you mind sharing some of the maintenance and frequency that you do? Thanks!

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about this unit. It seems that there is lots of maintenance like pump calibrations, tubing replacements etc. Do you mind sharing some of the maintenance and frequency that you do? Thanks!
I've only had it for about a year, but outside the regular intervals of calibrating the pumps and pH probe, I haven't had to do anything else. And the machine sends a reminder to do them.

Eventually it will require tubing replacement but replacement is about as straightforward as it can get.

There were noise problems from the 1st generation models that required some sort of replacement of the pumps to quiet them down, perhaps that's what you're referring to. To be honest, I never read anything about the fix being difficult.

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently bought an apex, and that’s because I was drawn to the trident for automatic testing. Now I have not purchased a trident, because I read that they are coming out with a mastertronic to test other parameters.

Are these units from focustronic compatible with an Apex?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back