Who here is using the triton method?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton had me at zero water changes. I know I can keep my testable nutrients under control so why am I not just replenishing elements that are being used by my tank? Seems like a no brainer.

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I’d stick with your calcium reactor .. I will also get one probably when it becomes too costly too dose triton .. eg if your alk consumption is very high ..

Yeah I’m thinking that’s what I’m going to do. Everything has been running great for me, no sense in changing it up now. I will be taking advantage of their accurate testing, I just won’t be doing their supplements.

OP
OP
Daltrey

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and ordered the triton core 7 reef supplements other method. Also ordered the tropic marine pro reef salt. I plan on starting the tank up this week using it.

Now to figure out if I need to run a gfo and carbon reactor also?

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would run carbon for sure. GFO is a maybe, depends how much PO4 you have. My fuge is enough to handle it and I took my GFO offline, just monitor and see what you need

OP
OP
Daltrey

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks, I was just going to run the BRS dual reactor with their carbon and gfo. I will just leave the gfo chamber empty when my po4 is low. Only thing in my sump so far is a skimmer.

300181-brs-reactor---dual-a-new-label.jpg

Screenshot_20180114-140304.png

Mick1of10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RSR 500 peninsular with a small refugium. I have added a cheato reactor (<2 gallon) and use the Core 7 program. So far, so good. Don't have enough time to answer definitively, but I'm encouraged.

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with the supplements being unavailable is any one still using the triton method?

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm recieving a 525 XL and want to set it up to use the Triton method. Any one doing this? What do I need to do the sump to make this work?

Kevin Duprey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm recieving a 525 XL and want to set it up to use the Triton method. Any one doing this? What do I need to do the sump to make this work?

I'm in the process of setting up my new 525 XL, and will be creating a build thread shortly. I'm planning to use the Triton method (probably other initially, then transition to full as the system matures). I modified the sump with a piece of drilled plexiglass to divide the skimmer section into a refugium and skimmer section. In reviewing the pictures I have, I realized I don't have one of the modified sump. I'll take one tonight, but now that it's full, it may not be as clear what I did, but hopefully it helps.

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of setting up my new 525 XL, and will be creating a build thread shortly. I'm planning to use the Triton method (probably other initially, then transition to full as the system matures). I modified the sump with a piece of drilled plexiglass to divide the skimmer section into a refugium and skimmer section. In reviewing the pictures I have, I realized I don't have one of the modified sump. I'll take one tonight, but now that it's full, it may not be as clear what I did, but hopefully it helps.
My tank arrived busted so I have time. Looks like the skimmer portion only holds 17 gallons(19 1/8 x 19 1/2 x 10 1/2) For triton you’d want 11 gallons, right? Did you put ur skimmer in just 6 gallons?

wwhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching the RSR XXL 750 and the best I can tell the fudge is anywhere from 6 to 10 gallons depending on water height in that chamber. That’s the newest version with the divider set for the largest possible fudge. That along with the restrictions in flow through the 3/4” returns makes Tritan far from recommended. I sent RS an email about it and got their “it’s whats stated on our drawings so it’s got to be right” answer. I was 10 minuets from ordering one and now it’s back to looking at other options.

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching the RSR XXL 750 and the best I can tell the fudge is anywhere from 6 to 10 gallons depending on water height in that chamber. That’s the newest version with the divider set for the largest possible fudge. That along with the restrictions in flow through the 3/4” returns makes Tritan far from recommended. I sent RS an email about it and got their “it’s whats stated on our drawings so it’s got to be right” answer. I was 10 minuets from ordering one and now it’s back to looking at other options.

I just setup a 525 XL with a flow meter.
- The return connection at the overflow box is 1/2 inch.
- The sump can be divided (custom mod) to give a 12x19x11 section for the fuge, which gives me 10% of DT.
- Theoretically my COR 20 should be able to get me 900 GPH if I get rid of the top 1/2 inch return.
-TRITON appears to be Vodoo science. There is no scientific evidence behind the config.

First problem is Flow. I run with a current max of 400 GPH on a measured pipe. I added a loc line y splitter which cuts flow by 10% measured. The half inch pipe at the end cuts another 10%. If I take off both I get 480 GPH measured. The problem here is 400 GPH is causing sand storms everywhere. 480 GPH has water coming over the top, since it’s directly on the front glass. I really wonder if anyone is doing 10x because of the chaos it would cause.

If you want to hit the max flow get rid of the manifold. The 90 degree turns, Ts, etc restrict flow. You need a direct connection to the return pipe. I have my doubt that USA Red Sea plumbing could hand the pressure at 10x. It’s not a solid connection. They Gerry rig the connection by wrapping plumbing tape around the 3/4 threads and sliding it on a piece of plumbing that is BSP (metrics). A total piece of crap solution. Mine actually leaked at 400 GPH. At 10x I’d expect the connection to blow out with the pressure.

So don’t expect 10x from Red Sea. And don’t worry about the TRITON numbers.

Monkeytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to do the Triton method, but haven't had time to make any changes. I have a set of the Triton Core7 Triton method 10l jugs I won't be using. They sell for $419 at BRS when they are in stock, but they are hard to find in stock. I'll ship them anywhere in the US for $425 total. Shipping costs are going to suck because it comes in two big heavy boxes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back