New build after dinos

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hesitant about making a tank thread.
I’m usually quite organized, have personal debates with myself, and think about 20-30 different ideas before I settle on something.

With that said, the perfect storm happened to my tank end of 2017 early 2018.

My reef was doing great! Goregous fish, an abundant amount of life, my corals we’re starting to grow before my eyes!

One morning I see some nasty green snot on the rocks and at that moment I felt Mike Tyson throwing a right punch to my midsection! I tried everything, lights out with a wrapped the tank, products recommend to me by my LFS, and eventually borrowed a UV from a buddy that was using it for ick management..

WHAT A MISTAKE!

After a few weeks of no more Dino’s, my sailfin tang is covered with ick, next day I lost 5 anthias, and then everything started to get ick..

Luckily, I was able to save my purple tang and yellow tang donated my clowns and went fallow. About 3months later I added the Tang’s back into the tank, after I lost a bunch of corals during that 3 month fallow period.

Then my basement springs a leak.........

what the fish!

Well 3 years later I’m back in business!
February 10, 2020 I added some salt and began my cycle!

stay tuned for more updates!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back - may the force be with you this time :p. My best advise these days are - have a social distance between your hands and the aquarium as much as possible - a new version of the old HYHD (KeepYourHandsDry)

Sincerely Lasse

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back. I went through the same ordeal in my first reef. Ran fallow as well.

I'll be here to follow along. Let's see some pics! ;)

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear you are back. In the words of Teddy Roosevelt:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be following. I know how it is.

I took a year to fight mine. Lost a full tank of coral (of course the palys I hated survived) and some very old fish.

Here was mine a year ago. Pics bad but the brown sand and overflows are easy to see.

1587863502940.jpeg

pasquale petrovia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a disaster also with Dino's. I tried the youtube video nutrient control and treating dinos for 7 days with Dr. tims and ATM colony, but it didn't kill them so immediately took all frags out and Qt'd them. 3 day blackout and added some sodium nitrate, turned off skimmer, added UV sterilizer and now looks like they are gone for a week so far. Keeping fingers crossed. I lost a couple of nice frags, but not terrible considering I battled them for about 3 months prior. I wish I had the hours back from tooth brushing, water changing, reading, siphoning. I even power washed some rock. They suck. I think mine took off when I lowered my Alk from 10.5 to 8.5. Maybe too quickly. I have never had any nitrate and .05 phos on hanna. Trying SPS dominate tank after 32 years of reefing. This is very difficult for a low tech kind of guy. Great Luck to you my friend. I wish you the best

OP
OP
Erick Armanii

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I haven’t updated in a while lol
I ordered some great frags and some not so great over the past few weeks.. the new tank is doing great with healthy Coraline growing on the rock and specks forming on the glass. I’m currently working with TSM aquatics to get more fish in the tank and hopefully the fish stocking will be complete soon!

Fish:
2xPj cardinals
2x peculiar clowns
Golden Midas blenny
Magnificent foxface
Yellow kole eye tang
Purple tang

Looking to add:
Yellow tang
Pyramid butterfly
3-5 dispar anthais

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I haven’t updated in a while lol
I ordered some great frags and some not so great over the past few weeks.. the new tank is doing great with healthy Coraline growing on the rock and specks forming on the glass. I’m currently working with TSM aquatics to get more fish in the tank and hopefully the fish stocking will be complete soon!

Fish:
2xPj cardinals
2x peculiar clowns
Golden Midas blenny
Magnificent foxface
Yellow kole eye tang
Purple tang

Looking to add:
Yellow tang
Pyramid butterfly
3-5 dispar anthais
TSM is a good spot to source fish from from what ive heard. Good luck with future additions

OP
OP
Erick Armanii

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSM is a good spot to source fish from from what ive heard. Good luck with future additions
Just received my order from TSM and I am very happy with the order and service received.. I picked up 3 female lyretail anthais and one big fat male lyretail!

I’ve been in constant communication via Facebook over the past few weeks with the staff and honesty some of the nicest fish keepers I’ve worked with.

looking forward to future orders!

OP
OP
Erick Armanii

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing pretty consistent with tropic marine pro. The past few tests I’ve seen some inconsistencies with calcium with over 500 (518-540) so I’ve turned off the dosing pump but even fresh salt was mixing at 508. Could I need to recalibrate my Hanna checker? Its probably about a month old, I’m still using the original reagents lol.

@Hanna Instruments ??

OP
OP
Erick Armanii

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the remaining fish that I wanted! (Still tank looks a little empty) I would consider 2 more pyramid butterflies or 6 chromis..

Attachments

• IMG_7936.MOV
    20.3 MB

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back