Who is eating my SPS?!

Wrasse-cal

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 21, 2017
Messages
759
Reaction score
598
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect my yellow tang or bicolor blenny started to nibble on my acropora. Nibbling might be an understatement. The tips are actually being bitten off. There are also some marks elsewhere that look like big bite marks. :( This really sucks. 6+ months and they've been model inhabitants. The odd part as well is the Tang and Blenny are well fed and fat. They have a clip of ulva in the tank and are fed TDO and LRS daily.

I did a dip in Coral Rx and saw nothing i.e., no AEFW/red bugs. Plus, I suspect I'd see skeleton, with flatworms or bugs. In my case, I have literal chunks missing.

Is this fish damage or something else? Do I have to re-home my fish?

IMG_1551.jpg

IMG_1549.jpg
IMG_1550.jpg
 
I would wait to catch the fish in the act to make sure you remove the correct one but I have heard from locals and one I knew well that their tang went rogue and started eating corals. NO fish is truly safe and they are all different. This look like nibbling for sure. My fox face did it and I had to remove him. The damage my fox face caused started out looking just like your pictures before he stressed out a few colonies and killed them off. I have also introduced hermit crabs and caught two eating on my sps but the damage they do is much different than in your pictures but just another thing to keep an eye out for. You never know what's in all those shells.
 
I would wait to catch the fish in the act to make sure you remove the correct one but I have heard from locals and one I knew well that their tang went rogue and started eating corals. NO fish is truly safe and they are all different. This look like nibbling for sure. My fox face did it and I had to remove him. The damage my fox face caused started out looking just like your pictures before he stressed out a few colonies and killed them off. I have also introduced hermit crabs and caught two eating on my sps but the damage they do is much different than in your pictures but just another thing to keep an eye out for. You never know what's in all those shells.

Thanks. I haven't been able to catch either fish in the act, which is troubling.
 
Thanks. I haven't been able to catch either fish in the act, which is troubling.

I totally understand. Staying up past my normal bedtime night watching the tank is what did it for me. I couldn't find out which fish was doing. I had to be still and just wait.
 
Do you have large snails? Sometimes they fall and break things.
 
I’ve had a Rabbitfish nibble lps but I’ve never heard of a yellow tang eating SPS. I also wouldn’t think the Blenny could cause that much damage but anything is possible.. good luck finding the culprit!
 
Yeah, then I would lean towards the yellow tank. I had one years ago that would nip my sps but not to that extent. The reason I asked what other fish, because I have had multiple blue tang’s bite huge chunks out just like your photos. How big is your yellow tang?
 
Yeah, then I would lean towards the yellow tank. I had one years ago that would nip my sps but not to that extent. The reason I asked what other fish, because I have had multiple blue tang’s bite huge chunks out just like your photos. How big is your yellow tang?

About 4-4.5 inches
 
Probably them. I always have this issue with emerald crabs. Caught them in the act countless times
 
I had a bicolor blenny take a liking to sps but is did not nip off tips. Emerald crabs will and can for sure break off pieces of coral and eat them. Ask me how I know but I get you can guess.
 
Can anyone recommend a crab trap?
 
They can be real tricky to catch. If you can make a little noose to get around their claw or leg, that will hold them in place. Then I usually get some long tong/tweezers. Grab them around their carapace, because the claws will come off easily, they have a very strong grip. Other techniques are not as pretty. You could try a little trap of some sort but I haven't had success with that.
 
Can anyone recommend a crab trap?
I read something years ago a about putting a large chunk of shrimp in a shot glass next to a rock so the crab climb up the rock and can fall in the glass but they won’t be able to climb out. I never tried this though.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new