OP
OP
izzyishh

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill be looking out at my LFS for a clam that catches my eye will keep you guys posted when i buy one!

wpeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely keep a Tridacna (maxima, derasa, etc) under Kessil A350/A360 series lights. I had good luck with a maxima under this lighting, other folks in the Boston Reef club have as well.

You need proper lighting for these animals, but lighting is often the least demanding of husbandry in keeping them happy and alive.

These kinds of clams need stability of temperature, salinity, and carbonate levels to thrive and survive. They also can consume a large amount of alk and calc, so having automated replenishment via two part doser or calcium reactor is strongly recommended.

The smaller clams are even more fragile often require supplementation of large amounts of live phytoplankton as well as bright lighting, while the adults get more of their energy from photosynthesis than filter feeding.

So, you should be OK with your lighting but I would think long and hard about having the other support systems you might need to keep a clam.

Last edited:
OP
OP
izzyishh

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @wpeterson I might just have to wait then for the upgrade my current 29g is a tad small and any swing is a big deal for such small volume havnt had any issues so far but now if but when.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams will be fine under kessil

If you have a deep tank id worry

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in this, too. I have three A360WEs in my tank in my 125 gallon system. I also have two 80w T5s installed. Now that the darned flame angel is out of the DT, I would like to try a clam. My PAR readings range 100-125 in the sandbed to 250-300 right under the water surface. I will be following thai discussion to learn more before taking the clam plunge.
What was the problem with the Flame?

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can I find optimal settings using a lux meter rather than a par meter. Lux meters aren't waterproof though are they

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He incessantly picked at acans, trachyphyllia and lobophyllia. I was afraid he'd do the same to a clam.
Hmm I heard different things about Flames some where they never bother anything to yours I want one but now I'm back to worrying about it. Now I'm also thinking of either a coral beauty or a Pygmy angel
Thanks

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I heard different things about Flames some where they never bother anything to yours I want one but now I'm back to worrying about it. Now I'm also thinking of either a coral beauty or a Pygmy angel
Thanks
Coral beauty can do it as well. Not sure about the pygmy.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a couple going on almost a year, they seem to be doing fine under Kessil160we's.
20161213_114126.jpg

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this for a little over 2 months directly under a 160, it was ramping down at the time of the picture. I have a total of 4 160's with a supplement of 2 T5 HO.
IMG_1049_zpslilbejue.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back