Who is running a macroalgae reactor? Which ones do you recommend?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've got no room for a refugium, but I could run a macroalgae reactor. How many of you are running a macroalgae reactor? Which ones do you recommend?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
are you talking like a turf scrubber?
No sir. I'm talking about something like the Tunze MAR (Macroalgae Reactor). Although a ATS is certainly another option.

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Tunze (the larger version, I think its the 3182) and love it.

One of the reasons I got this one instead of one of the others is the way it is designed. For a reactor to be useful, it needs to be large.

Most of the reactor designs have the light in the center of the reactor. Therefore, to harvest the algae you need to slide the entire center of the reactor straight up out of the reactor.

My sump is under my tank so there was no way to remove the center of the reactor due to the height of the space under the tank. So I would have to take the entire reactor out of the sump every time I needed to harvest the algae.

The Tunze has the lights on the outside of the reactor: to harvest the algae you just remove the lid and reach inside. Simples! :cool:

And it comes with its own controllable pump...

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got no room for a refugium, but I could run a macroalgae reactor. How many of you are running a macroalgae reactor? Which ones do you recommend?

I've been thinking about the Tunze as well. I have an AIO, (soon to be 2) and trying to stuff a fuge in one of the compartments seems like a losing game.

hmmmmm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the tunze, and in the past had the Pacific sun. Build quality on the Tunze is very good, and it comes with a tunze dc pump. Like stated above light on the outside is simply better, less mess when removing the algae. The lid is nicer as well, has magnets molded in.

rizon25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make your own with a regular reactor and Amazon gro led strips. I can grow chaeto well as long as there are enough nutrients to grow it in my tank.
2EAFE7CB-E816-47E3-8829-8D8C5D989275.jpeg

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sir. I'm talking about something like the Tunze MAR (Macroalgae Reactor). Although a ATS is certainly another option.

I have it it is great and it does stop spinning once full. The grow is fast and clean. I can recommend it based on I am happy with my experience

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many people on here wanna smack that hyperactive guy thomas from brs in the head ,every time they hear his annoying voice ?
I actually love this guy.... especially when he starts to "talk to the audience" as to go off script. I'll watch his crap for things I have 100% no use for.

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually may build one in the future. I have an AIO w/ a pump in the middle chamber connected to a UV sterilizer. My thought is run the pump to the macroalgae reactor then feed the UV.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Volume is too small
Refugium or ATS seems a better route.

virtualserge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tunze has the lights on the outside of the reactor: to harvest the algae you just remove the lid and reach inside. Simples! :cool:
Having the lights on the outside doesn't the wall of the reactor get green with tiny algae growing onto it thus shadowing the contents?

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the reef octo reactor. It was a little too efficient for my tank! Nitrate and phosphate kept zeroing out - so now it’s sitting in a closet until I need it again. The pictures show how well it works at growing chaeto:

0F872D28-C336-41EE-9E8C-8AD5A61EC758.jpeg
19E185F5-DA13-495E-B184-2796D792D58F.jpeg

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my DIY version I made from an aquamaxx media reactor and LED tape "grow" light.

There is some buildup that grows on the surface inside, but 3 minutes with a magic eraser on a stick and its good as new.

I clean it out about monthly.

One thing I noticed, Chaeto is the only macro i can get to do anything in there. I tried adding some others (sea lettuce and red Ogo) and they did not grow at all.

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the lights on the outside doesn't the wall of the reactor get green with tiny algae growing onto it thus shadowing the contents?

Interestingly not at all. There are two LED strips strapped to the outside of the reactor pointing into it. Where those strips are are vertical openings in a lining that they have put around the inside of the reactor... I assume so that you don't get spillover light outside of the reactor.

Those two vertical strips never get green at all so the light is unimpeded into the reactor all the time. Nice bit of design that!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back