Macroalgae in the display tank?

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am planning to add macroalgae to my nano tank. Could you please confirm which species of red or green macroalgae would be the most beneficial and overall best for the display tank? Many thanks!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the best answers I'd summon some of the regulars over in the macro section.
I think the trick is finding something that won’t overgrown or get outta control AND won’t end up being tang food

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of clownfish, and a tailspot blenny. Wanted to keep macroalgae in the tank to consume nutrients and contribute to the look.

The clowns won't eat macroalgae, but i don't know about blennys.

OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns won't eat macroalgae, but i don't know about blennys.
I have seen many tanks with macroalgae and people stating that it is to increase the pH. However recently I had a discussion which made me belive that this is not always a case. Therefore, I am hesitating whether adding them to the aquarium will be beneficial.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen many tanks with macroalgae and people stating that it is to increase the pH. However recently I had a discussion which made me belive that this is not always a case. Therefore, I am hesitating whether adding them to the aquarium will be beneficial.

All photosynthetic organisms tend to consume CO2 and raise pH overall and there is no possible debate about that.

They will also tend to produce CO2 at night, like every other organism in the tank, and thus they tend to lower pH when not lit.

OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All photosynthetic organisms tend to consume CO2 and raise pH overall and there is no possible debate about that.

They will also tend to produce CO2 at night, like every other organism in the tank, and thus they tend to lower pH when not lit.
That obviously make sense. I had previously algae in the refugium whether the light was working during the night. Currently I am making sure that there is a lot of fresh air in the room, as previously the windows were closed most of the time. Saw somewhere article that this may be contributing factor to slightly increase pH. I assume it won't be as significant, but anything is better than nothing.

lalitmaan34a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks awesome used to have caleurpa and dragons breath in my display before i upgraded to my 75g tank now its all in my sump under twinstar lighting similar to tighaboy's tanks
only downside is its working way to well and I'm struggling to keep my nutrients up, recently took out the filter sock and added more fish so hopefully it helps

OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks awesome used to have caleurpa and dragons breath in my display before i upgraded to my 75g tank now its all in my sump under twinstar lighting similar to tighaboy's tanks
only downside is its working way to well and I'm struggling to keep my nutrients up, recently took out the filter sock and added more fish so hopefully it helps
I had them in the past in my sump and the nutrients were quite low too! I hope you'll be able to keep at the level you want. I will have to rethink whether I should get them to my main display or just give up on this idea.

shrimplover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most beneficial (nutrition consumption) is the fast growing green ones, usually caulerpa, cheato and so.. Not all green grow fast though. Red and browns grows slower and are more for display purposes (they are pretty :smiling-face-with-halo:. Also mangroves are great! BRStv has a great video with Dennis aka Tigahboy going through all the know hows... All you need to know reallly!

OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most beneficial (nutrition consumption) is the fast growing green ones, usually caulerpa, cheato and so.. Not all green grow fast though. Red and browns grows slower and are more for display purposes (they are pretty :smiling-face-with-halo:. Also mangroves are great! BRStv has a great video with Dennis aka Tigahboy going through all the know hows... All you need to know reallly!

Awesome, thank you for that! I will definitely have a look!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back