Who keeps Gorilla Crabs? I have one!

Zero1091

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Is that a gorilla? He’s not really hairy??
Glad you caught him though, after all that destruction!
Not sure if its a gorilla but darn thing was making me grow grey hairs.
After catching em I wanted to launch em across the street and leave it for the birds. dang my heart of gold though, I donated em to a LFS.

ReeferNtraining

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You nailed it - They are also cold water. I love the idea that these little guys came off the same coast I surfed for several years in Souther Cali (San Clemente) when I had to run away from home for a bit. :cool:
Man, I totally get that! That is cool. What temp do you keep those guys in and what else do you have?

Im from Ohio and we vaca to the Keys or USVI ever year just so I can snorkel (Haven’t made the transition to diving yet). I came home last year and HAD to have a Caribbean Tang juvenile : ) So I get it!

ReeferNtraining

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if its a gorilla but darn thing was making me grow grey hairs.
After catching em I wanted to launch em across the street and leave it for the birds. dang my heart of gold though, I donated em to a LFS.
Lol...I can’t say I wouldn’t have done any different. Good for you! Although he is a pretty bad butt looking crab!

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What temp do you keep those guys in and what else do you have?
Its only a small 13 Gallon so now I am trying to figure out any sort of additions I can even put in there. I keep the temp at 68 and will go up to around 71 give or take. I am part of a cold water group on facebook and have to ask one guy to collect anything off the CA coast as he has the correct permits to collect. I cant seem to buy from any stores or anything like that for cold water animals as the entire industry is pretty much warm water obviously. I simply got the snail on mistake as they shouldn't have been in the warm water system I pulled them out of. I mean who really knows much about snails when they are ordering them for resale you know. (It was a Petco)

ReeferNtraining

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its only a small 13 Gallon so now I am trying to figure out any sort of additions I can even put in there. I keep the temp at 68 and will go up to around 71 give or take. I am part of a cold water group on facebook and have to ask one guy to collect anything off the CA coast as he has the correct permits to collect. I cant seem to buy from any stores or anything like that for cold water animals as the entire industry is pretty much warm water obviously. I simply got the snail on mistake as they shouldn't have been in the warm water system I pulled them out of. I mean who really knows much about snails when they are ordering them for resale you know. (It was a Petco)
Good for you man, that’s awesome. I envy your passion with it and as one of the non Facebook users, that is one thing that almost encourages me to join... but I just can’t do it lol

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the Facebook group called? That sounds awesome. I really want to have a cold water system too one day.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny story about crabs. When I first went down the salt road my Neice was in town and caught a small crab at the local beach. She brought it to my house seeking sanctuary. I gave in because I was new to salt and my Neice could easily melt anyone’s heart with the bat of an eye. So I tossed it in (thinking it would die by morning and I could tell her I didn’t know what happened) nope! It lived terrorized my corals for a night, somehow got out of the tank and made its way to my front door (which is nowhere near my tank) and I found it trying to squeeze its way under my front door. Mildly freaked out I threw it in my front yard which it may or may not have made its way back to the ocean. I’m guessing it did get back and I’m sure it’s fine. I did some research after the fact and found out it was a “shore crab” highly invasive crab so I’m glad it hated my tank.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 48 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back