WHO LIKES A CHALLENGE?

Liam's tank

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 20, 2023
Messages
292
Reaction score
244
Location
18074
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to get this coral identified for some time now. I've been to LFS, posted on a few forums (including here in the past) but to no avail. I think that these photos are the best I've been able to get so I'm hopeful. One is from the top looking down & the second from the front.

IMG_1285.JPG IMG_1286.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have been trying to get this coral identified for some time now. I've been to LFS, posted on a few forums (including here in the past) but to no avail. I think that these photos are the best I've been able to get so I'm hopeful. One is from the top looking down & the second from the front.

IMG_1285.JPG IMG_1286.JPG
Look up Oculina robusta
 
Look up Oculina robusta
I think you’re right on target with this. Looked it up myself. Should’ve considered it since I had some in my first batch of rock . Couldn’t keep it alive unfortunately.
 
I think you’re right on target with this. Looked it up myself. Should’ve considered it since I had some in my first batch of rock . Couldn’t keep it alive unfortunately.
 
Last edited:
I have been trying to get this coral identified for some time now. I've been to LFS, posted on a few forums (including here in the past) but to no avail. I think that these photos are the best I've been able to get so I'm hopeful. One is from the top looking down & the second from the front.

IMG_1285.JPG IMG_1286.JPG
Looks like an astreapora. There are branching varieties, but if this came from gulf live rock them it is something else.
 
I have been trying to get this coral identified for some time now. I've been to LFS, posted on a few forums (including here in the past) but to no avail. I think that these photos are the best I've been able to get so I'm hopeful. One is from the top looking down & the second from the front.

IMG_1285.JPG IMG_1286.JPG
Looks like what is known as hidden cup coral or pagoda cup coral
 
I have the same type of coral that came with live rock from the gulf. Actually I had two, one had green polyps (dead now as a stylo encrusted over it) and the second one is just pink in color (still alive).

IMG_3063.jpeg
 
Looks like an astreapora. There are branching varieties, but if this came from gulf live rock them it is something else.
If it’s Gulf Live , I’d say it’s probably oculina. Most of the hitchhiker corals I’ve gotten have been from their rock.
 
I have the same type of coral that came with live rock from the gulf. Actually I had two, one had green polyps (dead now as a stylo encrusted over it) and the second one is just pink in color (still alive).

IMG_3063.jpeg
Yours is different than the original poster, yours looks like a tubastrea of some kind.
 
I have the same type of coral that came with live rock from the gulf. Actually I had two, one had green polyps (dead now as a stylo encrusted over it) and the second one is just pink in color (still alive).

IMG_3063.jpeg
Yours looks different than the OP's
 
I have been trying to get this coral identified for some time now. I've been to LFS, posted on a few forums (including here in the past) but to no avail. I think that these photos are the best I've been able to get so I'm hopeful. One is from the top looking down & the second from the front.

IMG_1285.JPG IMG_1286.JPG
Do I win a prize ;)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new