Who makes a 300 gallon these days?

ntayler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all...looking to upgrade to a 300 gallon (96” x 24” x 30”). Are there any manufacturers around anymore that make them? Alternatives?

cost of a glass cages 300 is reasonable, but I think shipping will be outrageous. I don’t want to spend 4-5k on a custom job.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know of any mass market tanks 96” long. The ML265 already noted is as close as you’ll get before going to a custom builder.

OP
OP
ntayler

ntayler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by a LFS I had called to inquire that Marineland no longer makes tanks. I was looking at the 265 as an option but would prefer the 8 foot length. Thanks for the info folks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Marineland in which I trust a politician more than I trust their tanks or have custom built

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all...looking to upgrade to a 300 gallon (96” x 24” x 30”). Are there any manufacturers around anymore that make them? Alternatives?

cost of a glass cages 300 is reasonable, but I think shipping will be outrageous. I don’t want to spend 4-5k on a custom job.
I recently purchased my 240 from Glass Cages. I’m pleased. Even with shipping, still was a hair cheaper than the competitors.

You could arrange pick up? But that’s a hassle to. Delivery was simple and cost efficient in the end.

88C3FCC4-3E3A-446D-B67A-2C5CF86A592C.jpeg F8F864C9-5C74-4F00-8AA2-24A4AB4C65DA.jpeg 58659455-812C-4569-94BD-A0AE3D0DF22A.jpeg

45bravo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Planet Aquariums, they have all kinds of sizes that everyone else would consider "custom". Go though a local store if you can so you wont pay shipping, it's already a planed stop so they don't charge shipping, not to mention supporting them so next time you need a new one you still wont have to pay shipping. A 310 gallon for a little over $2000 MSRP if you don't get the low iron front panel, if you do add about $400.

U

User1

View Badges
Bad Marineland experience? Lol

300 DD's while a great looking tank has a lot of issues with seams leaking causing both Marineland and their customers a lot of money and loss. Do a few searches and you can read about it.

U

User1

View Badges
I'd check out glass cages and also maybe send a note to concept aquariums out of Canada. They made my 210 tank a couple years back and it was a great price to include the stand and shipping. I'm in Northern California and the shipping didn't really phase me much honestly.

I think if you are going for 300 and over I'd go custom regardless. Get the proper overly you want, any extra holes drilled, or even special compartments for power head or closed loops. I'll be checking both glass cages and concept again as I work through a tank change.

I love the 30" depth and height but my hip replacement is making it difficult to work in these days so need to change things up. May keep it the same but design it lower or go with a lagoon type setup.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
ntayler

ntayler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planet Aquariums, they have all kinds of sizes that everyone else would consider "custom". Go though a local store if you can so you wont pay shipping, it's already a planed stop so they don't charge shipping, not to mention supporting them so next time you need a new one you still wont have to pay shipping. A 310 gallon for a little over $2000 MSRP if you don't get the low iron front panel, if you do add about $400.

I was looking at these, my problem is I really can’t do more than a 24” width...30” will just be to much for the space (dining room display, has to look good). I also really like the viewing height (again for asthetic reasons) of 30” so a 300 is really the best option for me size wise. Otherwise I think this would be a no brained choice. I’m going to get a quote for the size I need from them either way. Anyone know what the weir capacity of the single overflow is on planet aquariums tanks?
And thank you for the info!

OP
OP
ntayler

ntayler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd check out glass cages and also maybe send a note to concept aquariums out of Canada. They made my 210 tank a couple years back and it was a great price to include the stand and shipping. I'm in Northern California and the shipping didn't really phase me much honestly.

I think if you are going for 300 and over I'd go custom regardless. Get the proper overly you want, any extra holes drilled, or even special compartments for power head or closed loops. I'll be checking both glass cages and concept again as I work through a tank change.

I love the 30" depth and height but my hip replacement is making it difficult to work in these days so need to change things up. May keep it the same but design it lower or go with a lagoon type setup.

Best of luck.
Yeah I was quoted about 600 for freight shipping and honestly I was expecting more....we will see when I get the price for door delivery from them

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't ever get a glass tank in that size range. That's a lot of water to trust to silicone seams. I prefer acrylic for big tanks. It's much more forgiving for uneven stands and tank settling. There are a couple companies that offer polycarbonate bottoms on their glass tank, which is the way to go if you're dead set on glass.

U

User1

View Badges
I personally wouldn't ever get a glass tank in that size range. That's a lot of water to trust to silicone seams. I prefer acrylic for big tanks. It's much more forgiving for uneven stands and tank settling. There are a couple companies that offer polycarbonate bottoms on their glass tank, which is the way to go if you're dead set on glass.

I can't speak for glass vs acrylic seams. However, I will say moving the 210 glass aquarium is a lot of work. Heavier no doubt and needs to be factored into moving around. I ended up renting a material lift from HD and used the shipping crate material to make a temporary stand with casters to move it.

Moving for sure acrylic will be a lot easier. I can't speak for strength. I did get euro brace top. I'd probably get it on the bottom next time and seam protectors if offered like miracles armor thingy or whoever makes it. I forget.

OP
OP
ntayler

ntayler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak for glass vs acrylic seams. However, I will say moving the 210 glass aquarium is a lot of work. Heavier no doubt and needs to be factored into moving around. I ended up renting a material lift from HD and used the shipping crate material to make a temporary stand with casters to move it.

Moving for sure acrylic will be a lot easier. I can't speak for strength. I did get euro brace top. I'd probably get it on the bottom next time and seam protectors if offered like miracles armor thingy or whoever makes it. I forget.
Oh for sure moving something this big is going to be a project by itself no doubt

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back