Who makes their own two part solution?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know some of you reef chemists know how to make this stuff instead of paying premium prices. Do you make your own two part? What do you use and why? Do you find it less expensive to DIY than to buy in bulk?

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a two-part-er since 2008. My alk comes from Sam's club....2 1/4 cups Arm and Hammer baking soda baked at 300 degrees for an hour made up to one gallon. My Cal comes from a 50 pound bag of Prestone Driveway Heat (less than $20)....2 cups per gallon. My MAG is a mix of 5 cups of MAG Flakes (50 lb bag; less than $20) mixed with 3 cups of Epsom salt made up to one gallon. I've never actually calculated the yearly cost of DIYing my alk and calc (and Mag), but I'd guess it is less than $10-$15 per year for a 90 gallon mixed reef tank. Everything is growing like a weed.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been a two-part-er since 2008. My alk comes from Sam's club....2 1/4 cups Arm and Hammer baking soda baked at 300 degrees for an hour made up to one gallon. My Cal comes from a 50 pound bag of Prestone Driveway Heat (less than $20)....2 cups per gallon. My MAG is a mix of 5 cups of MAG Flakes (50 lb bag; less than $20) mixed with 3 cups of Epsom salt made up to one gallon. I've never actually calculated the yearly cost of DIYing my alk and calc (and Mag), but I'd guess it is less than $10-$15 per year for a 90 gallon mixed reef tank. Everything is growing like a weed.

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

I don't use much supplement because I dose kalk but if I did a 2 part I would follow this.

Great info, guys! Thanks! Anyone else?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Where do you get MAG flakes? What are they? Also, I've heard of using the driveway heat...but been afraid I'd buy the wrong kind. LOL Is there a special kind we should get (or kinds we should avoid)? This definitely sounds like an affordable method!

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get MAG flakes? What are they?

MAG flakes is an ice melt product. It is magnesium chloride. I found this at a True Value Hardware store in 2008....during the colder months.

mag_flakes_pellets.jpg

b_rad_G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag flake is hard to find. I looked all winter and couldn't find it locally so I turned to eBay. I think I got 20# for 26$....anyways its enough to make like 8 gallons of mix. You can also use Epson salt and it is recommended to use mag flake and Epson to keep a ion balanced additive. A bag of mag flake will last the normal person forever.

When I eventually run out of reef builder I will use baked baking soda. Any food grade will work fine.

The calcium chloride is hard to find. A lot of people say the driveway heat has changed formulas and is "iffy" now. Pool based sources could be better product.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back