who out there is breeding cardnals

Briney Dave

High School Marine edc.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love those little B. Cardnals and this issue's coverage has me itching to give breeding them a try.

Aside from the great info in the article is there any other little tips or tricks??

I think its so important to captive breed everything that will lend itself to it. I have read that the wild stock of these cardnals is in trouble so this would be a great way to take that pressure off.

I plan to only buy captive bred fish for this but wondered how small was too small to buy

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropicorium breeds them by the hundreds.

Just throw a few in a sump with a lot of live rock, and in no time youll have babies.

its pretty much that easy.

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out MOFIB.org you can get tons of info from them, it is a breeders forum. Kmeic123 is a breeder local to me in Chicago...he has been breeding them for a while, he also breeds clowns. I've seen his set up, he's strictly a hobbyist but it's very nice none the less.

OP
OP
B

Briney Dave

High School Marine edc.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw them up at Trop. Their set up there is so cool. I would love to be able to have a greenhouse so big that I have no clue how many cardnials I have breeding amoung row after row of corals.

Coral's article has me geeked but I want to make sure that I don't jump without all that I will need to do a good job. I have a trip planned to the Toledo zoo to see how they raise shrimps which will be pretty handy to have on hand.

I want to have a student work their way up from easy guys like these sound to the much tougher like the mandarians. I have a couple younger students than normal that may be around long enough to learn to be able to breed these fish

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got Matt pederson's female from his pair last weekend, and I just got in 5 1" er's today. I will let you all know how it goes.

fishtal9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won a pair from ORA at MACNA last September. They were "juveniles" at the time but they hooked up and I had my first spawning event at Halloween, then again on Christmas.

Those batches didn't make it, probably due to them being so young. Hopefully when I get back from vacation this weekend I can get things rolling.:bigsmile:

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the tanks i do maintenance for have a breeding pair. I fish them out of the overflow and sump all the time.

OP
OP
B

Briney Dave

High School Marine edc.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finding them all over is a lot like up in Romulus Mi
Last time I was there, they had babies running around everywhere

Evaluating my time: I think it would be wise to wait until summer to get going on figuring out what I would need for my students and myself to try a single tank project

I don't want to rush in get something started then not have time to follow through.

Back to the article though, Pretty good stuff there. I can't hardly wait for the next issue to come out

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 65 40.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 82 50.6%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back