Any “easy” to breed reef inverts?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably gonna set up a small frag tank and keep it invert only. Any reef safe inverts that might breed in a frag tanks without predators/fish (I guess corals are predators. . .)? Like cherry shrimp in the freshwater world? Or is there no real salt equivalent to them?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chitons? No idea if any species makes any practical sense for what you want but:
*I have two different small types that just showed up after a couple of years and are obviously multiplying

Maybe checkout ReefCleaners website since they sell inverts targeted for clean-up with information about each, including whether or not they reproduce in our tanks.

P.S. I like micro brittle stars and they reproduce on their own but not sure if any benefit for frag tank CUC other than I think they're cool

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from things like micro brittle stars, Stomatella and Collonista snails, Asterina (Aquilonastra) stars, Aiptasia and Majano anemones, etc. the easiest to breed in that size of tank would probably be shrimp or some crab species (snails typically require more difficult to cultivate phyto species).

That said, you’d likely need to separate the larvae from the adults to prevent the adults eating the larvae (the second link in the quote below gives an idea for this).

Well hopefully someone with more experience will chime in, but - aside from various pods, BBS, etc. - there are a few relatively easy to breed shrimp species (Palaemonetes pugio, Palaemonetes vulgaris, Palaemon elegans, and even a few peppermint shrimp species - Lysmata spp. - to name a few) and - if you can get them spawning - red-ridged clinging crabs/ruby red crabs, Mithraculus forceps are easy too (green emerald crabs, Mithraculus sculptus, are just as easy to breed/rear, but they have much lower larval survival rates). Arrow crabs, Stenorhynchus seticornis, are similarly easy as well, but I don’t remember their survival rates at the moment.

As far as snails go, they range from a bit to a lot more intensive to raise, but stomatella snails, as I understand it, reproduce readily enough in our tanks (most people get them as hitchhikers, but there is a place that sells them - I can’t vouch for them being reputable as I haven’t purchased anything from them and don’t know anyone who has, but they say they offer them*). If you’re willing to spend a bit more, you could try raising Nassarius reticulatus using SHG’s “Snow Reef” suspension feed or Cerith spp. using Oocystis spp. phyto. If you’re up for a bit more effort you could try Florida Fighting Conch, Strombus alatus, too.

Fair warning, however, to my knowledge, all of these species (except the stomatella snails) produce pelagic/planktonic larvae, so you need to make sure your setup is pelagic larvae safe, or these guys will all die off.

* The stomatella shop:
Some relevant links:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back