Hybridizing Pygmy Angelfish

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched a video on youtube and it got me thinking. I will post it down below. The video was only 3 years ago, but in the last 3 years there has been so much more availability of captive bred pygmy angelfish. With this recent advent, I wonder why we do not see more hybridization going on. I am clearly admittedly ignorant on how they breed these fish in captivity, but it got me thinking nonetheless. What are your thoughts? Are there any pygmy angelfish breeders here that would care to weigh in?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1710000874244.png

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With this recent advent, I wonder why we do not see more hybridization going on.
Thanks for the bump. I really thought it would be an intriguing subject to discuss, but I dont think people on R2R like me. My threads rarely get any action.
Haha, I don't know that anyone really knows.

Personally, I'm guessing that there's concern about the viability of hybrid offspring (a largely unnecessary risk for breeders), but, mostly, I'd guess it's just concern about a lack of a market for the hybrids - a lot of people have reservations about hybrids due to them being unnatural, and any hybrid angels would probably be pretty pricy as well (at least at first).

That said, I'm sure it'll happen sooner or later just like with the large angels.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy one, depending on the looks. My wife really likes the long finned clowns.:face-with-rolling-eyes:

I think a potters/flame hybrid would look amazing. Not sure that would happens though as Hawaii is closed to the potters.

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy one, depending on the looks. My wife really likes the long finned clowns.:face-with-rolling-eyes:

I think a potters/flame hybrid would look amazing. Not sure that would happens though as Hawaii is closed to the potters.
There is breeders that have pairs of both in the industry right now. Just need to sync up their spawns.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back