Who owns a backup pump for their skimmer?

Do you own a backup pump for your skimmer?

• Total voters

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been recommended in places, such as with BRS TV, that it's not a bad idea to have a backup pump for one's skimmer. For instance, I use a Reef Octopus Regal 200SSS, which uses a VarioS-4S, which is the same pump as the VarioS-4, but with a different impeller. I can either buy an extra pump for $300, or an impeller for $30.

An area in which I consult (management consulting) is business continuity and disaster recovery. From that perspective, having a backup makes sense. For my example, BRS doesn't carry skimmer impellers or the VarioS-4S. I'd need to order either from Coralvue or private Amazon retailers with non-Prime shipping.

However, is a skimmer critical? Well, for me, I do use it to draw air from outside my high rise home (I have an airline discretely (?) hidden along the walls, with a booster pump along the way; the air passes thru two BRS CO2 scrubbers and an ozone generator before entering the skimmer. In terms of maintaining air quality and pH, it's fairly important, though not mission critical.

Is it a good idea to you? Who's doing it? What does the R2R community think?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a back-up fanatic and definitely have a replacement pump for my skimmer.....but only costs between 50 - 60 bucks. That 300 for yours hurts!

I also have backups of my entire light rack (three fixtures) and return pump.

OP
OP
DiZASTiX

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a back-up fanatic and definitely have a replacement pump for my skimmer.....but only costs between 50 - 60 bucks. That 300 for yours hurts!

I also have backups of my entire light rack (three fixtures) and return pump.

Lights AND return. I applaud your due diligence!!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have back up for my return pump, new in the box. For my skimmer, I have the original pump that still works and a newer replacement on it now.

Return pump is more critical than a skimmer. As would be back up lights in a pinch.

AZG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty big into the back up pumps/plans. I’ve invested a lot of money into livestock. Have to plan for disaster. I don’t think the skimmer is too critical but that’s for my system. You have a little more going on lol. But yeah a couple hundred on pumps could save thousands of dollars for me.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights AND return. I applaud your due diligence!!

I think of it as more of a sickness. :eek:

I've had issues with all three...return, skimmer (they are Atman pumps, enough said!!!!) and LED lights. As a matter of fact, I've actually changed my "main" rack with SB Reef because of LED burn-out issues. Here are my two light racks....white rack is now SB Reef, black rack is Fathom Hydra's. I'm able to change these out within 5 to 10 minutes.

Light Racks.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back