Who runs an AI Prime on BRS' SPS settings? Does the UV lens burn?

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I asked on the AI sponsor forum what was the highest level that it could be run at without melting the lenses. AI didn’t respond.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Led manufacturers would just upgrade their lens material it would be a non issue. What cost increase could thst really be? I think most people would pay an additional $20-30 for a material that can withstand shorter wavelengths long term
Glass is the answer for most of this.
Diode browning is err complicated.
Some VOCs and chemicals react with silicone and produce discoloration and surface damage. Other VOCs do not
chemically react with the silicone material directly but diffuse into the silicone and oxidize during the presence of heat or
light. Regardless of the physical mechanism, both cases may affect the total LED light output. Since silicone permeability
increases with temperature, more VOCs may diffuse into and/or evaporate out from the silicone.
Careful consideration must be given to whether LUXEON Z UV emitters are enclosed in an “air tight” environment or not.
In an “air tight” environment, some VOCs that were introduced during assembly may permeate and remain in the silicone
overcoat. Under heat and exposure to blue and UV light, the VOCs inside the silicone overcoat may partially oxidize and
create a silicone discoloration, particularly on the surface of the LED where the flux energy is the highest. In an air rich
or “open” air environment, VOCs have a chance to leave the area (driven by the normal air flow). Transferring the devices
which were discolored in the enclosed environment back to “open” air may allow the oxidized VOCs to diffuse out of the
silicone overcoat and may restore the original optical properties of the LED.

Things like AI secondary lenses is different

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LEDs are not exact and the spectrum bleeds both higher and lower around the rated nm range so yes it it ends up being in the UV range, although toward the top. These are typically the ones that fail, not the other spectrum.

True but still it would seem like there are ways to get around this given that it doesn't seem to reported with any other brand on here that also produce shorter wavelengths.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never understood the over 100% settings (like 120%, for example).
120% of what?
*considering 2x AI Prime 16 HD so was just curious

100% on all channels is 55w. You can lower the intensity of one color and raise another to also reach 55w. So each of the LED's can go higher than 100%, but the unit as a whole can't go above 55w

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% on all channels is 55w. You can lower the intensity of one color and raise another to also reach 55w. So each of the LED's can go higher than 100%, but the unit as a whole can't go above 55w
Does that mean a 3 watt LED is being given more than 3 watts(just an example, not sure the wattage used)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that mean a 3 watt LED is being given more than 3 watts(just an example, not sure the wattage used)

I am not sure about the details such as that. I'd imagine that 100% on all channels leaves the individual colors below their individual max wattage but that is just a guess

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This has been one of my pet peeves for years with violet leds regardless of brand that use lenses.

Thankfully there are other options ........Reefi and Mitras use reflectors and no lenses which are in the same puck type form. The added benefit is also no light spill......... it all gets directed down into the tank.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 16's are new so cant comment on the lens issue. I do have extras and do agree it should have been engineered better from day one.
I have read that they did upgrade the newer lenses but dont know exactly what that means.

I had the light sitting on my pant leg and was messing with the setup. I turned the light on and it burnt a pattern in my pants. They get hot quick and its was not even on 100%.

I have only had my 2 lights on for 3 weeks now @:
V & UV 140%
RB & B 125%
R& G 6%
W 20%
My nano cube is 100% sps.
Started dosing esv 2 part at 3ml a day.
Went up every few days and am at 10ml a day today to maintain 7.5-8 alk.
All sps are healthy looking, and using alk. Visible growth not yet seen as the tank is young.
Overall I like the lights so far.
I will monitor the lens.

I know the light diffusers are par killers but, anyone with the diffusers, try removing the lens and just running the diffuser?
20220216_041426.jpg

Last edited:

PhishScaper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump, I like the BRS settings for their 18g that I use on my 15g AIO Innovative Marine, but not sure what ramp up/down times I should use. Any suggestions?

PhishScaper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the BRS settings for their 18g that I use on my 15g AIO Innovative Marine mixed reef, but
not sure what ramp up/down times I should use?
Any suggestions?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back