Who thinks their system has been improved by AWC?

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always considering implementing an AWC but haven't yet. What are the opinions of any of you that are doing automatic water change?

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My AWC goes off daily. In total volume it's about 12% weekly. I think there are multiple benefits. The first is that with doing daily changes in smaller amounts it doesn't impact parameters as drastically. Second, I use AF Reef salt which has amino's and vitamins in it. Each day a small dose is entering the system. And I guess there's a third... I sure don't miss standing there and sucking all that water out of the system.

OP
OP
shwareefer

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never done it but my buddy has and he doesn’t like the results he sees vs a hefty water change once every 2 weeks or so..
My AWC goes off daily. In total volume it's about 12% weekly. I think there are multiple benefits. The first is that with doing daily changes in smaller amounts it doesn't impact parameters as drastically. Second, I use AF Reef salt which has amino's and vitamins in it. Each day a small dose is entering the system. And I guess there's a third... I sure don't miss standing there and sucking all that water out of the system.
My idea has always been to add to not replace my current water change scheme, since there's always a detritus pile to suck up. I just don't want to carry more buckets than I do now.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My idea has always been to add to not replace my current water change scheme, since there's always a detritus pile to suck up. I just don't want to carry more buckets than I do now.
That sounds like a good plan!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think AWC would be great if my setup would permit it (which it doesn’t). But then I’d still want to filter / clean the substrate every few weeks.

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I started with AWC on day 1 using the Neptune DOS. It changes out 1 gallon per day on my 50 gallon. On top of that I end up doing an additional 5 gallon wc each weekend when I vacuum the sandbed.

There was a 3 week stretch where my Apex base unit went down and my AWC stopped. I went back to doing things the old fashioned way. During that time my nutrients spiked HARD. I had no idea how reliant my system had become on the AWC.

The biggest critique I’ve read about for AWC is that multiple smaller changes aren’t the same as 1 big one. For example 1 gallon per day (2% in my case) for a week isn’t the same as 7 gallons once per week (14%). That’s true. But it’s not a meaningful difference. I forget who (maybe it was Randy) posted an article about that topic and did all the math. Bottom line was that it didn’t make a big difference for the most part.

I do AWC because it’s easy. No buckets. Set it and forget it (pretty much). Nutrient stability is another big benefit.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've used an AWC on my last 2 tanks. I'll NEVER go back to big water changes!! :cool: It's just so much easier with automation. I hate carrying buckets. :)

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to add an AWC system to one of my tanks. I have used them before and what I have found is that they are a lot like my Rumba. I used to vacuum once a week but after having the Rumba I feel I can go 3 weeks before I need to manually vacuum. There are some spots the Rumba misses that I need to get every so often.

When I have done AWC in the past I didn't need to do water changes as often but I eventually noticed areas of the tank or sump where detritus was building up that I needed to manually siphon out.

AWC will not eliminate the need for manual water changes but it will make your life easier and reduce the amount of manual work needed. As a new dad with less and less time. I need to free up my time a bit so AWC is great for me.

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My house has two tanks upstairs and down, I have been running an AWC system for both out of my garage for about 1.5 years...

I have two 50 gallon tanks in garage, one for RODI, one for salt... I also have it connected to 2x 13 gallon tanks that are what feeds both tanks separately via on/offs of apex solenoid valves.... I programmed a MIXING_MODE virtual outlet on a rocker switch with a breakout box that basically tells the apex not to autofill the resevoir tanks while im re-filling/mixing the main salt reservoir...

I really like how it is setup because I can drain every last drop of saltwater into the separate reservoir tanks.... and then not having to worry for a while when im mixing or even cleaning out the big tank every 6months or so...

I definitely have been very lax though with doing sand vacuuming though and they both are due for it.. makes you a little lazy maybe is the negative

Sometimes I crank up the DOS's to do large changes (like 10-15 gallons a day) when I feel like things are a little in need for it. (I run the systems pretty high nutrients)

I also feed both tanks ATO from the garage RODI reservoir as well... I am really happy with how much room its saved me in both of the sumps not having separate reservoirs... I have been very careful in implementing safe guards with LLS's and apex logic and various optical sensors to make sure 35 gallons of RODI dont get into the house for some reason... or even if the AWC gets off balance with in and out with a Clog.... I also purchased some Inlet filters that are in the sump for the Water out...to help prevent clogs.

mosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that use DOS, or whatever you use, how often do you calibrate your pumps? Who often, and how much, does your salinity drift?
I was wondering this too. I bought a Jaebao dosing pump intending to use it for awc. but every time I try to calibrate it I get a different result. New to this, so maybe user error. But planning to try again today and if I still can’t calibrate it will try using a Neptune dos bought for another purpose.

and then thinking about installing a salinity probe also

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back