4 Blue+ 4 Coral+. Perfect combo for growth and color, IMO
IMG_4072.jpeg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that abs bulbs look a little green to some people, I barely see it, but I fix that by using one of the kz white bulbs and one abs. Normally those two, two coral plus and two blue plus and two kz superblue which I like much more than the blue plus but just use both to vary the spectrum as much as possible.
I never liked the purple bulbs or the pink ones and always had trouble using the 6500 ge bulbs because one is almost too much yellow. I like 10k xm bulbs but even just one ge bulb in the mix overpowers a lot of the other bulbs. I bet 4 would really help the corals grow and even color up but the overall look would be really hard to deal with in the beginning for me.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The natural reef at those depths is interesting from a light standpoint. The ambient backdrop of the ocean is so overwhelmingly
Blue in appearance, but the light hitting the rocks and corals, especially the shimmer lines is super yellow still

OP
OP
Dlealrious

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
50/50 blue+ and coral+ is just too blue for my taste. I know it works extremely well and it is a complete spectrum, I just like a whiter ambient hue for most the day. I have considered running 4 blue+ and 4 6500K bulbs though. That may be the ticket for me
I don't find it too white, a bit of a green/blue hue. But im gonna stick it out and see how it works over the next year. call it an experiment, I guess we are all mad scientist in this hobby!!

OP
OP
Dlealrious

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually very neutral to the eyes. Much like how a reef would be lit at 20-30ft. Phone does a bad job at filtering the blue light.
That's how my photo's come out haha. But definitely different in person. I took some photos with just coral+ and it still looks blueish

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@madweazl

Out of curiosity, what size tank are you running the 4 T5s over? Are you still running LEDs with it? I have 4 T5s on my 75 currently and am starting to feel like it isn’t enough. Corals are alive but not growing much. Wondering if that is why since water parameters are in check. Currently using 1 blue plus, 1 coral plus, 1 purple plus, and 1 actinic. Your tank looks nice.

A$AP-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are looking for growth, as well as aesthetics I just typed this to another person on a different thread. I was a highend collector of sps / zoas and minor LPS. this was my bulb combo and a lot of people used my combo and loved it.

if you are looking for that 14-20k look, depending on fixture you have and what blubs you use. you might want to use a combo I used to use in the exact order. I only used ATI bulbs and a redsea bulb which was insanely blue and gave off good par, crazy growth and insane color !! this is the order from front to back. you wont be disappointed ! also the 20k radium bulbs give off that blue look but nothing like the blue you might want, you'll need a reefbright HXO blue strip for supplement if you want that deep blue glowing look.

but then again, your water parameters have to be up to par as well. its not only the lighting.

Purple+
coral+
RedSea reef SPEC 22k Actinic
Blue+
RedSea ReefSpec 15,000k Bulb
Actinic
blue+
Purple+

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@madweazl

Out of curiosity, what size tank are you running the 4 T5s over? Are you still running LEDs with it? I have 4 T5s on my 75 currently and am starting to feel like it isn’t enough. Corals are alive but not growing much. Wondering if that is why since water parameters are in check. Currently using 1 blue plus, 1 coral plus, 1 purple plus, and 1 actinic. Your tank looks nice.

I have two Kessil A360WEs with the T5s in an AquaticLife fixture (standard 75g tank with the 48" fixture). I bought the AquaticLife fixture for the 150g but curiosity got the better of me so I tossed it on the 75g to "test." Per the earlier post, I run two Blue+, one AquaBlue Special, and a Purple+. The Kessils are at 50% color and 70% intensity. PAR results from the AquaticLife fixture weren't very impressive but the combination has been working well.

Last edited:

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Kessil A360WEs with the T5s in an AquaticLife fixture (standard 75g tank with the 48" fixture). I bought the AquaticLife fixture for the 150g but curiosity got the better of me so I tossed it on the 75g to "test." Per the earlier post, I run two Blue+, one AquaBlue Special, and a Purple+. The Kessils are at 50% color and 70% intensity. PAR results from the AquaticLife fixture weren't very impressive but the combination has been working well.
Great. I just bought 2 used A360W Es. Great to know how someone else is using them over their 75. Thanks.

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are looking for growth, as well as aesthetics I just typed this to another person on a different thread. I was a highend collector of sps / zoas and minor LPS. this was my bulb combo and a lot of people used my combo and loved it.

if you are looking for that 14-20k look, depending on fixture you have and what blubs you use. you might want to use a combo I used to use in the exact order. I only used ATI bulbs and a redsea bulb which was insanely blue and gave off good par, crazy growth and insane color !! this is the order from front to back. you wont be disappointed ! also the 20k radium bulbs give off that blue look but nothing like the blue you might want, you'll need a reefbright HXO blue strip for supplement if you want that deep blue glowing look.

but then again, your water parameters have to be up to par as well. its not only the lighting.

Purple+
coral+
RedSea reef SPEC 22k Actinic
Blue+
RedSea ReefSpec 15,000k Bulb
Actinic
blue+
Purple+
Awesome. I’ll look into this. Never considered the Red Sea bulbs! Have a tank pic to share?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great. I just bought 2 used A360W Es. Great to know how someone else is using them over their 75. Thanks.

The color channel ramps from 0% to 50% for two hours in the morning and then back down from 50% to 0% for two hours in the evening. Intensity ramps up from 0% (technically 11% on my controller) to 70% over six hours and then back down from 70% to 0% for the final six hours (12 hour photo period). The T5s are on for eight hours, coming on two hours after the LEDs and shutting down two hours prior to the LEDs shutting off.

Mouse84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, as the title says just wondering who uses 50/50 mix of of blue and coral+
I have read that this combo is really good for coral growth and colour, i am running this on my grow out tank 8 bulb fixture. To my eyes though it seems a bit green though. Just wondering what other peoples opinion is on this combo.
Cheers
DSC04023.JPG
yea thats my current struggle tryna find the right balance

A$AP-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I’ll look into this. Never considered the Red Sea bulbs! Have a tank pic to share?
unfortunately I don thave my old computer I used to have with all my tank photos. but it was amazing color. trust me on that bulb combo! its truly an amazing look and great par for growth ! you wont regret buying them!

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until today I was running c+, 2 b+ and 1 actinic. Was keeping LPS in lower part of tank thinking from other research I had correct par for their growth. Sps up high live but do not grow. Borrowed an apogee par meter from the club I belong to and mapped out the tank. Par was quite a bit lower than expected and I swapped the actinic for a c+ and increased the par in the par by 10% overall in all areas. I certainly recommend renting or borrowing a par meter now. I have a better understanding of what the bulbs are producing now.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like a blue looking tank :)

I don’t find it blue at all. Would definitely call it a more “white” combo, but that’s just me. I’ve got kessils with 4 t5. 2b+/2c+.

I put a 6 bulb sunpower over my frag tank and tried experimenting with other combinations (purple plus, actinic, etc). I think I’ll just end up going with the B+/C+. Can’t beat it!

d2043e5d6aeaa2053c6239a940b03ebf.jpg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t find it blue at all. Would definitely call it a more “white” combo, but that’s just me. I’ve got kessils with 4 t5. 2b+/2c+.

I put a 6 bulb sunpower over my frag tank and tried experimenting with other combinations (purple plus, actinic, etc). I think I’ll just end up going with the B+/C+. Can’t beat it!

d2043e5d6aeaa2053c6239a940b03ebf.jpg
Random:What are the fans on your display? Are they on even when it’s not to hot?

OP
OP
Dlealrious

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea thats my current struggle tryna find the right balance
Im actually getting used to it, the colours do pop like if the coral has good coloring i guess. I have pulled down the display now and "some" of the colours are looking quite nice under this combo. Maybe it will get better in a few more weeks once they have adjusted to the change in light or they may loose colour... A few have started to brown out a little.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 115 74.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back