Who use's 50/50 Coral+ Blue+ T5?

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, as the title says just wondering who uses 50/50 mix of of blue and coral+
I have read that this combo is really good for coral growth and colour, i am running this on my grow out tank 8 bulb fixture. To my eyes though it seems a bit green though. Just wondering what other peoples opinion is on this combo.
Cheers
DSC04023.JPG

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its for grow out then the 50/50 mix is perfect. If your looking for more of a blue hue then run 5 b+ and 3 C+

OP
OP
Dlealrious

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, na not looking for more blue just asking for opinions really. Display started with LEDs but added T5 late last year. I guess I'm used to the pop of LED but this is a grow out so its for growth and colour.

OP
OP
Dlealrious

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering added one of the or light bars possibly for that pop, on the fence atm

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran that combo for about nine months alongside LEDs but switched up to an even whiter look about six months ago with two Blue+, an Aquablue Special, and a Purple+. Though I don't have a way to compare growth (they grew then and still do now), I do prefer the whiter look :)

OP
OP
Dlealrious

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Dlealrious

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran that combo for about nine months alongside LEDs but switched up to an even whiter look about six months ago with two Blue+, an Aquablue Special, and a Purple+. Though I don't have a way to compare growth (they grew then and still do now), I do prefer the whiter look :)
I also like little white look especially with t5. I'm not a fan of the purple plus though when I added 1 to display the redish hue threw me off. Is it true though it helps with reds/pinks. Did you see any change when changing to this?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also like little white look especially with t5. I'm not a fan of the purple plus though when I added 1 to display the redish hue threw me off. Is it true though it helps with reds/pinks. Did you see any change when changing to this?

Red monti caps really look nice when you get some lights that have some red in them. Same goes for orange gorgonians. In the combination above, you dont see the odd lavender hue that you'll get with something like a Blue+ with a Purple+. This is pretty dang close to what my tank actually looks like in person. Some of the highlights are blown out.

45779002784_2f7b30d758_b.jpg

OP
OP
Dlealrious

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red monti caps really look nice when you get some lights that have some red in them. Same goes for orange gorgonians. In the combination above, you dont see the odd lavender hue that you'll get with something like a Blue+ with a Purple+. This is pretty dang close to what my tank actually looks like in person. Some of the highlights are blown out.

45779002784_2f7b30d758_b.jpg
Wow that looks nice, so you dont use purple plus?

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 4 blue plus
2 coral plus
2 purple plus

My tanks is just getting started but the frags are growing nicely. I like the look.

56a631476241fa226f8d0c5337ca0f09.jpg

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has the Purple+, it just isn't as noticeable when mixed in with the others.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always like the more crisp white look and too many coral plus does throw off the color a little but you can get used to it. I always liked 4 blue, 2 coral plus, and two aquablue specials. Honestly I always try to mix half kz bulbs and half ati, I like the look of the mix a lot better than just ati bulbs.

OP
OP
Dlealrious

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 4 blue plus
2 coral plus
2 purple plus

My tanks is just getting started but the frags are growing nicely. I like the look.

56a631476241fa226f8d0c5337ca0f09.jpg
Nice, will have to see how things go after 6 months. Might swap out 1 actinic for purple on my display lighting when I do the re scape.

OP
OP
Dlealrious

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always like the more crisp white look and too many coral plus does throw off the color a little but you can get used to it. I always liked 4 blue, 2 coral plus, and two aquablue specials. Honestly I always try to mix half kz bulbs and half ati, I like the look of the mix a lot better than just ati bulbs.
Same here, I thought aqua blue and coral plus are similar. I don't mind aqua blue. Have the griezmann version on my display as 1 coral plus bulb broke when I had it delivered and it came with the light

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50/50 blue+ and coral+ is just too blue for my taste. I know it works extremely well and it is a complete spectrum, I just like a whiter ambient hue for most the day. I have considered running 4 blue+ and 4 6500K bulbs though. That may be the ticket for me

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50/50 blue+ and coral+ is just too blue for my taste. I know it works extremely well and it is a complete spectrum, I just like a whiter ambient hue for most the day. I have considered running 4 blue+ and 4 6500K bulbs though. That may be the ticket for me

See if you can find a shop (or a buddy) that has the AquaBlue Special in the array. Four 6500k might end up too yellow in appearance (two would probably look nice though).

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if you can find a shop (or a buddy) that has the AquaBlue Special in the array. Four 6500k might end up too yellow in appearance (two would probably look nice though).

I used ABS years ago and found them a little green. Right now I use

3 blue+
2 6500k
1 true actinic
1 purple+
1 coral+

And that combo is still a little blue for my taste. I don’t like changing up spectrum more frequently than once a year so I can get a good gauge of how the acros will respond.

I think next go around I’ll replace the coral+ with a third 6500k and see how that looks.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, it does add a touch of green (the Purple+ seems to mitigate this). Eight bulbs provide some great options; a little trickier working with four (what I have).

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, it does add a touch of green (the Purple+ seems to mitigate this). Eight bulbs provide some great options; a little trickier working with four (what I have).

I’m a big fan of creating as much symmetry as possible in my tube layout so I almost try to see my 8 bulb fixture as two 4 bulb fixtures. And space out like colors as much as possible and put single color tubes toward the middle as best as I can. I know t5’s are so diffuse so I’m sure the color banding is mostly just my imagination but I try to even it out as much as possible. My purple+ and actinic are among the middle 4 bulbs just so they cover as even as possible. That’s one thing that is so attractive about even just using two color bulbs in an 8-10 bulb layout is how even of spectrum everything is getting

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back