Big E Rimless 80g Sps

cobra2326

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild Superman table- best it's ever looked........I'm usually fighting to keep this colored up

Would you be willing to share more info about the cues you look for and how you adjust things? Indicators, for instance, of too much/too little light, nutrients etc.

It seems like the pros at SPS know what all the knobs are and how to tweak them for the best colors. I could spend 18 years trying to learn this myself, or hopefully pick the brain of some giants :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update!!

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't had a chance to take a lot of pics lately, but here's a few.

Crayola Plana

Crayola plana 122617 by Big E 52, on Flickr

WT Tierra del Fuego colony shot- this is turning into one of my favorites.

Tierra del Fuego 010318 by Big E 52, on Flickr

Sky Blue Hoeki

Hoeki 121917 by Big E 52, on Flickr

GC Ultimate Efflo
Ultimate efflo 010918 by Big E 52, on Flickr

Inferno favia

inferno favia by Big E 52, on Flickr

White Lightning Horrida

white lightning 112517 by Big E 52, on Flickr

Zoa/paly garden I'm starting to put together
zoa garden 011518 by Big E 52, on Flickr

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had a chance to take a lot of pics lately, but here's a few.

Crayola Plana

Crayola plana 122617 by Big E 52, on Flickr

WT Tierra del Fuego colony shot- this is turning into one of my favorites.

Tierra del Fuego 010318 by Big E 52, on Flickr

Sky Blue Hoeki

Hoeki 121917 by Big E 52, on Flickr

GC Ultimate Efflo
Ultimate efflo 010918 by Big E 52, on Flickr

Inferno favia

inferno favia by Big E 52, on Flickr

White Lightning Horrida

white lightning 112517 by Big E 52, on Flickr

Zoa/paly garden I'm starting to put together
zoa garden 011518 by Big E 52, on Flickr

Amazing Ed !!! You are probably the only one with such a huge true Tierra Del Fuego from WT . Most of the ones in the trade do not even come close to this beauty .

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Best corals out there!

Thanks!

That is very lovely. :)

Thank you

Amazing Ed !!! You are probably the only one with such a huge true Tierra Del Fuego from WT . Most of the ones in the trade do not even come close to this beauty .

Regards,
Abhishek

Thanks and I do see very few people that have this coral, most of the ones I see are the "other" Tierra that looks like a Red Planet.

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would you be willing to share more info about the cues you look for and how you adjust things? Indicators, for instance, of too much/too little light, nutrients etc.

It seems like the pros at SPS know what all the knobs are and how to tweak them for the best colors. I could spend 18 years trying to learn this myself, or hopefully pick the brain of some giants :)

Sorry, somehow I missed your question.

I spend at least 15-20 min daily looking at the corals after the lights are on. You can pick up certain characteristics that are normal for each coral, be it polyp extension, growth, color ect.

I also make a mental note of film algae growth on the glass panes or rockwork.........you get a feel for what is normal.

I take a lot of pictures of the corals so sometimes I may notice something from those in growth rates, colors, ect. There is no way anyone can remember how something looks a few months ago compared to today.

I seldom try new products or tech.........I use what has proven to work. Any new products or tech that pop up I let the guinea pigs risk their reefs. After the product has proven itself over time, at least a year or two is when I might experiment. For the most part if it's not broke I don't look to fix it.

I don't chase nutrient numbers or try to force my system into target numbers. I know the ballpark range they need to stay in, so as long as the corals are thriving I don't fuss over the numbers. I make sure alk is consistent so I check that weekly.

When my system looks awesome to my eyes is when I may do a battery of tests........these are my "target" numbers.

I keep a journal and note any changes I make or something I see. There is no way I can remember something from months ago.

Hope this helps

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, somehow I missed your question.

I spend at least 15-20 min daily looking at the corals after the lights are on. You can pick up certain characteristics that are normal for each coral, be it polyp extension, growth, color ect.

I also make a mental note of film algae growth on the glass panes or rockwork.........you get a feel for what is normal.

I take a lot of pictures of the corals so sometimes I may notice something from those in growth rates, colors, ect. There is no way anyone can remember how something looks a few months ago compared to today.

I seldom try new products or tech.........I use what has proven to work. Any new products or tech that pop up I let the guinea pigs risk their reefs. After the product has proven itself over time, at least a year or two is when I might experiment. For the most part if it's not broke I don't look to fix it.

I don't chase nutrient numbers or try to force my system into target numbers. I know the ballpark range they need to stay in, so as long as the corals are thriving I don't fuss over the numbers. I make sure alk is consistent so I check that weekly.

When my system looks awesome to my eyes is when I may do a battery of tests........these are my "target" numbers.

I keep a journal and note any changes I make or something I see. There is no way I can remember something from months ago.

Hope this helps

K.I.S.S., way too many people seem to be chasing numbers or try ulns, why, corals need nutrients too!?
... so you are removing nutrients so you can supplement for the lack of nutrients!? ;)
If I had no algae I would a, be very worried and B, have no way of judging how things are with my water!
I'm lazy but try to remember to test kh once a month! :)

North Borders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your colors!

I never really noticed the "Windex tank" prevalence until I read it in this thread and now it's all I can see in pics where people are running lots and lots of blue in their tank. It made me think back to the nano I had up a couple of years ago and the best the tank ever looked was when I was running blue and non-blue LED's at 50/50.

I just installed a 4 bulb t5 fixture over my tank last week. I was going B+, C+, Actinic, B+...But I'm going to swap out that Actinic bulb for another Coral + and run 50/50 B+/C+ just like you are.

Thanks for the inspiration! Keep up the great work!

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of reefers cannot figure out what they're doing wrong and not able to get colors on their acros. So many tried brand names of remedy just to get that normal acro color and yet most fail. Reefers keep trying to get that desired colors and invest and make changes every time a new brand new potion comes out.
Big E, you're not alone, of keeping it simple and not dosing any special magic potion, I know a few just like you, and achieving these great colors but only a few reefers like you has this much colors without dosing :rolleyes:. So, if there is no magic, no unique potions, no vendor hype or specific brand name color enhancing gimmick, only water changes and 2 part dosing for Alk and CA and T5 fixture. (Hard to believe) but it's working my brother. Simple. Right Big E ;) So why don't we all do it, maybe is not that simple right. :(

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful SPS @Big E . Could only hope to get something looking this good in my tank eventually!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of reefers cannot figure out what they're doing wrong and not able to get colors on their acros. So many tried brand names of remedy just to get that normal acro color and yet most fail. Reefers keep trying to get that desired colors and invest and make changes every time a new brand new potion comes out.
Big E, you're not alone, of keeping it simple and not dosing any special magic potion, I know a few just like you, and achieving these great colors but only a few reefers like you has this much colors without dosing :rolleyes:. So, if there is no magic, no unique potions, no vendor hype or specific brand name color enhancing gimmick, only water changes and 2 part dosing for Alk and CA and T5 fixture. (Hard to believe) but it's working my brother. Simple. Right Big E ;) So why don't we all do it, maybe is not that simple right. :(

Great comment, I do KISS, I won't post a pic on this journal, finding the balance or the sweet spot is they key (imo) for each tank, I do it my way as I am really lazy! ;)

Back