Big E Rimless 80g Sps

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ed - Joe Peck from NY here. Had a tank crash due to neglect last winter and starting over, but this time I'm considering ditching the calc reactor and going back to 2 part like I used to. Just wondering if you could elaborate on how you dose. I think you mentioned a particular doser. Does it need frequent cleaning? Does the calc line get clogged? Anyways, awesome corals as always! Joe

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Joe,

Sorry to hear about your tank. I use Randys two part and dose approx 10-15ml per dose. Currently that comes to 8 times over 24 hours.

I use a BubbleMagus doser and it's been on line for 5 years without issue. The alk line clogged once at the tip where it drips down. Calcium never has clogged. There's no cleaning to do.

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree!
Ed, how about some info on your sump? Size, how much rock? etc. Pics.
Thanks,
Todd

Sorry Todd I missed this--

My sump is a 40g tub There is about 25 lbs of rock, one bag of Siporax and a skimmer. I run GFO off the return line.

For whole system, there probably is about 40lbs of rock total.

I get some pics up soon for you.

Ashley Kekua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your magic is amazing powerful!!! Keep up the good work!! I am amaze at your successs. I want to be like you!

Ashley Kekua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is possible to run t5 only Blue PLUS no other BULBS?
does that complete the spectrum for coral healthy?

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool corals!
your magic is amazing powerful!!! Keep up the good work!! I am amaze at your successs. I want to be like you!
Thanks!

is possible to run t5 only Blue PLUS no other BULBS?
does that complete the spectrum for coral healthy?

No, the Blue+ lacks some of the spectrum that a white bulb offers. There are some pigments that won't get exited if a wavelength doesn't exist in your lighting. In short, this means you won't get all colors to pop or grow as well with a complete spectrum.

Cool corals!
Thank you

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sump pics?
Thanks Ed!

Here's a quick shot.........not much to it.

sump 80g.jpg

Ashley Kekua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

No, the Blue+ lacks some of the spectrum that a white bulb offers. There are some pigments that won't get exited if a wavelength doesn't exist in your lighting. In short, this means you won't get all colors to pop or grow as well with a complete spectrum.

Thank you
Thank you for answer! Then follow up question to you, Coral Plus plus blue plus add everything reef need to be happy and to be healthy?

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for answer! Then follow up question to you, Coral Plus plus blue plus add everything reef need to be happy and to be healthy?

These lights will cover the complete spectrum from 400-625nm with peaks in certain areas that some specific pigments need. You need enough bulbs for coverage and intensity for all corals to color/grow.

If you want some extra bling you can add some LED strips.

sensei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Ed,
can I know which brand of return pump do you use? how many g/h do you think you are pumping to dt and what is the dt size in gallons?
I ask because I see you have the gfo reactor connected to same pump, so some flow goes back to sump
how often do you clean return pump? how many years does your return pump last?

Best regards

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jorge,

It's a Lifeguard Quiet One model 4000. It pumps about 450gph at the head pressure I have it at. The GFO flow is slow maybe 50g an hour

Display total volume is 90g.

I don't get hard build ups on it, so there's nothing on it but bacterial slime.......... It should be cleaned once a year.

This pump should last 10-15 years.

sensei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ed,
so you roughly have a 400% turnover from return pump to dt. is there a range that one should aim ?

are you happy with this pump? I will need to change mines.
I have a 3 vectra ecotech but they only lasted 3 years. inner part of pump started erroding it has like blisters were the mgnet turns, in addition I do not really need a DC pump for return.

to calculate the flow at head pressure do you just measure how many feet of piping ( vertical and horizontal) you have from pump to dt and look it up in tecnical table of pump?

Thanks

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks Ed,
so you roughly have a 400% turnover from return pump to dt. is there a range that one should aim ?

are you happy with this pump? I will need to change mines.
I have a 3 vectra ecotech but they only lasted 3 years. inner part of pump started erroding it has like blisters were the mgnet turns, in addition I do not really need a DC pump for return.

to calculate the flow at head pressure do you just measure how many feet of piping ( vertical and horizontal) you have from pump to dt and look it up in tecnical table of pump?

Thanks

Yes, Just estimate head pressure by your piping and use the pump table.

I'm probably around 350gph at most with the reactor.......this isn't a big pump. The pumps you're using now are double that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back