who uses AcroPower or some other form of aminos and how are your results?

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used acropower for a bit and then stopped to try and figure out nutrient levels. I’ll try again once Nitrate levels stabilize for awhile because I bought a gallon of it! :p

Rams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You don’t need any aminos for SPS to grow.just dose bacteria twice a week(Zeobak or Rebiotic)and carbon dosing preferably TM bacto balance daily and feed heavily to your fish.SPS will grow crazy as bacteria consumes those nutrients and then SPS consumes that bacteria.

Aminos is unnecessary and will cause cyano which is bad bacteria for your tank.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use aminos to supplement low levels of available forms of nitrogen.

Harriswill1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Bio-Enhance by Quantum. I have it set up on a dosing pump and dose it daily!

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You don’t need any aminos for SPS to grow.just dose bacteria twice a week(Zeobak or Rebiotic)and carbon dosing preferably TM bacto balance daily and feed heavily to your fish.SPS will grow crazy as bacteria consumes those nutrients and then SPS consumes that bacteria.

What you’re describing is a different method that may work for you. However, there are plenty of tanks that use Amino’s and don’t have Cyano or other issues and see very positive results. Blanket statements are the worst thing as none of our tanks are exactly the same. If they were this hobby would be much easier.

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acropower and or red sea ab+ lead to algae for me. The ab+ did seem to be great for zoas though. Now I use kz 1234 and a few drops of kz coral vitalizer in the evening which I think has some aminos in it.
I switched to Acropower from AB+ due to being able to use a doser.

Rams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What you’re describing is a different method that may work for you. However, there are plenty of tanks that use Amino’s and don’t have Cyano or other issues and see very positive results. Blanket statements are the worst thing as none of our tanks are exactly the same. If they were this hobby would be much easier.
So you guarantee that aminos will grow corals?

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like a lot of people, I too use to believe that aminos were a must for sps. However, over the years since their introduction to our hobby I have readjusted my stance on them.

Aminos have their use cases, but are not necessarily the key to success for sps keepers. They’re great if you’re running a ULNS and need to input additional nutrients into your system, but will only make a marginal difference otherwise.

Dosing just aminos will not lead to any major breakthrough in terms of your coral care or husbandry.
It is best to approach dosing aminos in a holistic approach, as they do play a role in the health of your corals.

Like many others, I’ve experienced algae or red slime due to dosing aminos, but that was due to the lack of understanding. Aminos are used by a plethora of organisms and the overuse of aminos may lead to undesirable growth. That’s why you would not want to dose aminos in a sparsely populated system.

This has also been my observation. Treat aminos as a part of your tool kit. Corals primarily consume bacteria, especially sps. Dosing aminos will increase your bacterial population and thus feed your corals. However, an overdosage of aminos can spur the growth of pathogens. Strategically using aminos or whatever supplement is key for any reefer’s long term success.

We weren’t dosing aminos 20 years ago and still had great success. Why? Because the bacteria has always existed in our systems. The same cannot be said about amino acid supplements.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So you guarantee that aminos will grow corals?
We both know I didn’t say that. Read what I wrote again. I said…

“What you’re describing is a different method that may work for you. However, there are plenty of tanks that use Amino’s and don’t have Cyano or other issues and see very positive results. Blanket statements are the worst thing as none of our tanks are exactly the same. If they were this hobby would be much easier.”

You’ll notice I did not use the word guarantee.

What I AM saying is there are different methods to this hobby. Some of them include using Aminos and it works. Some of them include carbon dosing and it works. Some don’t use either of those things and they are just as successful.

Here is an example of a tank that does use Aminos and Greg certainly doesn’t have Cyano -

You could also look at Abe’s tank who just started Carbon dosing -

So, different methods, but both are highly successful. There are also many other examples of tanks that don’t do either of these things but are wildly successful.

Rams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We both know I didn’t say that. Read what I wrote again. I said…

“What you’re describing is a different method that may work for you. However, there are plenty of tanks that use Amino’s and don’t have Cyano or other issues and see very positive results. Blanket statements are the worst thing as none of our tanks are exactly the same. If they were this hobby would be much easier.”

You’ll notice I did not use the word guarantee.

What I AM saying is there are different methods to this hobby. Some of them include using Aminos and it works. Some of them include carbon dosing and it works. Some don’t use either of those things and they are just as successful.

Here is an example of a tank that does use Aminos and Greg certainly doesn’t have Cyano -

You could also look at Abe’s tank who just started Carbon dosing -

So, different methods, but both are highly successful. There are also many other examples of tanks that don’t do either of these things but are wildly successful.

thanks for videos.Cheers

Rams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Like a lot of people, I too use to believe that aminos were a must for sps. However, over the years since their introduction to our hobby I have readjusted my stance on them.

Aminos have their use cases, but are not necessarily the key to success for sps keepers. They’re great if you’re running a ULNS and need to input additional nutrients into your system, but will only make a marginal difference otherwise.

Dosing just aminos will not lead to any major breakthrough in terms of your coral care or husbandry.
It is best to approach dosing aminos in a holistic approach, as they do play a role in the health of your corals.

Like many others, I’ve experienced algae or red slime due to dosing aminos, but that was due to the lack of understanding. Aminos are used by a plethora of organisms and the overuse of aminos may lead to undesirable growth. That’s why you would not want to dose aminos in a sparsely populated system.

This has also been my observation. Treat aminos as a part of your tool kit. Corals primarily consume bacteria, especially sps. Dosing aminos will increase your bacterial population and thus feed your corals. However, an overdosage of aminos can spur the growth of pathogens. Strategically using aminos or whatever supplement is key for any reefer’s long term success.

We weren’t dosing aminos 20 years ago and still had great success. Why? Because the bacteria has always existed in our systems. The same cannot be said about amino acid supplements.
Well said Allan @coral reeftank

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought AquaForest Powder a while back. It’s difficult to get it to dissolve, so it has to be mixed up several hours before using. Dosed about every three days, and I’m up to my 155th day. I really don’t see any difference in my Corals, they are no different after a vacation. I have this terrible bacterial slime in my Plumbing, so I’m quitting it to see if that is the cause. BTW, The Mixing cups smell awful, if I don’t wash them right away.

cvicente

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed, dosing aminos is unnecessary. There are several studies on the ability of corals to sythesize amino acids, and it's also believed that bacterial endosymbionts could be responsible for some of these AA synthesis. Many people are not aware that AA overdose could lead SCTLD as it disrupts the coral holobiont.

Rams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Agreed, dosing aminos is unnecessary. There are several studies on the ability of corals to sythesize amino acids, and it's also believed that bacterial endosymbionts could be responsible for some of these AA synthesis. Many people are not aware that AA overdose could lead SCTLD as it disrupts the coral holobiont.
Yup 100%

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t been reefing that long (7 years) but in the past I’ve used Seachem Reef Plus, Aquavitro Fuel, ME Amino and AcroPower. Currently I’m using Brightwell Coral Amino. Do they work? I really can’t tell and can’t see any discernible difference. To be honest, the only reason I’m currently using it is because I have low nutrients and aminos help to keep my nutrients detectable.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t been reefing that long (7 years) but in the past I’ve used Seachem Reef Plus, Aquavitro Fuel, ME Amino and AcroPower. Currently I’m using Brightwell Coral Amino. Do they work? I really can’t tell and can’t see any discernible difference. To be honest, the only reason I’m currently using it is because I have low nutrients and aminos help to keep my nutrients detectable.

Sps timeline
Year 1 - Try everything to speed growth
Year 2 - Frags start to take off
Year 3 - Colonies are so big you don't even really care about growth anymore.
Year 4 - You stop using most additives, You hardly Change water and you realize that none of the countless things we used up to this point really mattered that much.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back