who uses AcroPower or some other form of aminos and how are your results?

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello team, just wondering what amino brands you use and how often / what form do you dose? manually or via pump. what brand do you use and what are your results?

I am wanting to start using amino in acropora tank. tks.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used acropower on and off in the past. I’m starting to think they’re great when a tank is newer, lower fish or low nutrient but I found that with an established tank, it gives me cyano and didn’t notice much with my acropora. Thinking it’s more of a food source so if they’re well fed, aminos are not necessary.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Aquavitro Fuel on our mixed reef tank here in the office. I dose it once or twice a week by hand and don't really measure it out - just drop in a few cap fulls

Its purely anecdotal, but the tank seems more vibrant and looks better when I'm dosing, as opposed to when I run out, and stop dosing. I also tried Red Sea AB, and it did not see to have the same effect on the overall look of the tank. But again, purely just an observation on my part.

The tank is fully mixed - lots of SPS, lots of softie's and LPS - here's a top-down of one of the rocks that is covered in soft corals and montis

1698439759257.png

Last edited:

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i mixed some in with my DIY fish food. hasn't been a week yet but i have noticed slight polyp extension, however i am starting to see cyano/dino's (i am actually battling low nutrients due to a running skimmer and two clams), otherwise i don't think i would have had this issue.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run Acropower but got a few bad batches so I switched to CoralAmino. I don't notice a difference lol. I use just enough daily to prevent any undesirable algae or bacteria from the dosing. I think it would be more important in a ULNS.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run Acropower but got a few bad batches so I switched to CoralAmino. I don't notice a difference lol. I use just enough daily to prevent any undesirable algae or bacteria from the dosing. I think it would be more important in a ULNS.
What happened when you got a bad batch? How did you know it was bad? Just curious so I know things to look for.

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened when you got a bad batch? How did you know it was bad? Just curious so I know things to look for.
It became super cloudy and thick after about a week of being opened. I contacted the company and their response stated that "while it isn't common it sometimes does happen and it should be fine other than the concentration won't be as strong" That happened to 3 out of 4 of the big bottles. From that point on I just switched.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It became super cloudy and thick after about a week of being opened. I contacted the company and their response stated that "while it isn't common it sometimes does happen and it should be fine other than the concentration won't be as strong" That happened to 3 out of 4 of the big bottles. From that point on I just switched.
Thank you for letting me know. I haven’t had that issue yet but it’s good to know.

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for letting me know. I haven’t had that issue yet but it’s good to know.
I actually found my original thread I posted about this a while ago......this was their official response.

"That is a precipitate that happens sometimes because we make AcroPower at nearly the saturation point for some ingredients. So, to answer your questions, no it is not normal, but it is not rare either. It is not harmful. Yes you can decant or filter out the white precipitate and use the clear solution. The strength is reduced from a fresh bottle, but it will still work."

This is a pic of it that I had posted......

IMG_0633.JPG

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently using Brightwells Coral Amino. I’ve also used AcroPower in the past. Haven’t noticed a difference TBH. The only reason I dose it is because my nutrients are low, NO3 0-2 and PO4 0.03.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no coral additives at all just fish poop? This is the most natural method.
Correct. I am going to see if phytoplankton will have any benefit as well soon.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acropower and or red sea ab+ lead to algae for me. The ab+ did seem to be great for zoas though. Now I use kz 1234 and a few drops of kz coral vitalizer in the evening which I think has some aminos in it.

Kylesreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used acropower on and off in the past. I’m starting to think they’re great when a tank is newer, lower fish or low nutrient but I found that with an established tank, it gives me cyano and didn’t notice much with my acropora. Thinking it’s more of a food source so if they’re well fed, aminos are not necessary.
To piggy back on this, I have 3 tanks all with no sump and they all got high nutrient problems after using acropowa sparingly so I stopped and everything grows just fine with the particulate already in the water for them to grab.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back