Who's bringing in wild colonies still?

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like everything is frags and aquacultured /maracultured. Which is great, but I also like to look for new wild. I see Live Aquaria still does, who else? PM and I'll not post if don't want to post your secret "spot".
Thanks,

Todd

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unique Corals gets in a lot of wild/mariculture corals. Anything Mariculture is still wild imo, grown in the ocean. There's a store in Orlando that gets in lots of really nice mari pieces, but I'm not sure if they have them listed online. Your best bet would be contacting some wholesalers in Bali and just ordering a box of wild colonies, if you don't have the space try and find another local reefer thats willing to split. I've done this in the past and got some awesome pieces.

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything that you get from Divers Den, Vivid, etc. will be picked through already. If you can handle a whole box, then getting a whole box right from the diver is better. I was able to pick out what types of corals I wanted... and they waited a week to make sure that I got some of them.

Livestock usa does whole boxes of stuff... they are not really retail. They are not WYSIWYG... they are a semi-wholesaler that will sell to anybody. I get rock from them all of the time... it is cheap and quality pacific stuff when they have it in stock (no fiji shutdown).

Just know that most of these are going to 1). die, 2). just be OK, 3). be blah. If you get one star in the box, then you are doing well. These will test your ability to reef, especially at first. I would be at the top of your game with near-NSW parameters and the best lights if you want to do this... these are not yet filtered to do well with high nutrients or LEDs.

Shaddow_wolf169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some colonies from 2 months ago

20171214_185345.jpg

20180131_200602.jpg

OP
OP
T

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, the few go to small importers I used to go to are all out of business. I had some places that would not pick through first and got some amazing corals.

Shaddow, were those from Livestockusa?

I'm okay with a gem within a whole box.

Again, thank you all.
Todd

bsstover

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just got a box of acros from livestock.org. I was very skeptical at first. Mitch, my contact there, was very helpful and walked me through the process. After sending in a deposit he sent weekly updates regarding what was available that week. I had originally requested the “premium” acros but this shipment was taking too long for my immediate gratification personality. Finally I requested acros from Kupang. My order was finalized on Friday and acros arrived at airport for me to pick up on Monday. I had 17 in my box, which varies based on what you order and size of colonies they ship. All survived. After dipping and quarantining them they are in display tank and look great. Mitch even refunded me some shipping costs and overpayment from my deposit. Very honest. He didn’t have to do that as I had no clue how much the corals were supposed to cost. Ultimately, I ended up paying $49 per 3-5inch colony... not frags. I am pleased with the quality of the acros. Still wonder if I should have held out for premium stuff but not disappointed with what I got at all. I have absolutely nothing but good things to say about Mitch and my experience with livestock.org.

Shaddow_wolf169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, the few go to small importers I used to go to are all out of business. I had some places that would not pick through first and got some amazing corals.

Shaddow, were those from Livestockusa?

I'm okay with a gem within a whole box.

Again, thank you all.
Todd
No those were from fiji before they closed (Walt Smith) and australia.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 56 40.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 70 51.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back