Who's here thinks bleached Nem looks cool? And misc. Questions.

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this Nem yesterday from LFS and I understand, it is bleached ... but who's here don't mind the coloring of bleached BTA? they look pretty; gives you that contrast of color.

Anyhooo ... it is currently in a breeder box and my intention is to keep feeding it .. I guess nurture it, until it is good to go into the wild (Display Tank).

When do you think it's good to go in the DT? When I got it, it is already sticky and bubbly. I was thinking the next weekly WC. Let me know your thoughts.

20180415_213954-01.jpeg

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you correlate bleached nems with those that aren't healthy, then you'll never like the look of a bleached nem. It's the equivalent of seeing a starving dog with its ribs showing.

You don't have to keep the nem in a box. It can go into the DT immediately. However, keeping it in the box is beneficial because you can spot feed it easier, so I think you're plan is great. Feed it until it colors up, then into the DT it goes. Could take a few months, but as I said, it doesn't have to stay in the box the whole time.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you correlate bleached nems with those that aren't healthy, then you'll never like the look of a bleached nem. It's the equivalent of seeing a starving dog with its ribs showing.

Perhaps i misunderstood the term bleached because i personally don't see any of the pictures look like starved dog with its ribs showing. All of these are still fat fluffy bubbly but with pastel looking colouring.

Which from the pictures do you see as a bleached nem? Some or none?

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps i misunderstood the term bleached because i personally don't see any of the pictures look like starved dog with its ribs showing. All of these are still fat fluffy bubbly but with pastel looking colouring.

Which from the pictures do you see as a bleached nem? Some or none?

The left and right. Middle is not a good picture to tell. The left and middle look healthy, the right looks off. At least that's how I see them.

It would appear yours is about the same size as one of my gbta's that went through near death, cipro with some electrocution (powerhead), cut in half, and then is now green and healthy again over about 9 months. Mine luckily has stayed in the same spot for the past 2-3 months so I have been able to target feed it and get it colored back up. I would 100% keep it in the breeder box so you do not lose track of it and can feed it as D-Nak suggested. Mine, as it did get cut in half by my mp40, healed up and both halves looked good to go. I lost track of the other half (both were about dime size) and was not able to get it going again. I believe it melted away eventually.

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on bleached nems not being healthy. It is sad that they are bleached. often times they are pale from lack of light, starving for who knows how long.

Also, anemones do best when placed in the rockwork of the display so they can move to where they are happy. However the fact that you are thinking anemone "nurturing" takes a week, makes me a little worried.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However the fact that you are thinking anemone "nurturing" takes a week, makes me a little worried.

How do you mean? Am all for nurturing for months if that's what is required hence the question. Even it goes DT in a week time i will still spot feed it but i think you guys are right, better kept in box for now, easier.

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you mean? Am all for nurturing for months if that's what is required hence the question. Even it goes DT in a week time i will still spot feed it but i think you guys are right, better kept in box for now, easier.
Anemones often live longer in nature than you or I do, they make great displays in the aquarium and the BTA's are very hardy. With that said, they recover slowly. Often times proper lighting is more important than feeding, and often times feeding can actually stress the anemone out if the food is too large or if fed too often. Once a week, spurt a little bit of mysis to the anemone and that is all the feeding it will really need. Larger food takes longer to digest and often times will take more energy than it provides :)

I wish you luck with the new anemone you have! I personally would give the anemone a small rock or some rubble to attach to if it wants, It will likely make it feel more secure than just the box but some prefer the flat surface so your mileage may vary

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back