Who's still Reefing Ol' School?

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ Absolutely!
Anybody ever thought about all that electroradiation from all that new equipment your exposing your fish to and yourself im an electrician so i was pondering that thought lastnight that maybe all that funky new is probably no good any thoughts?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody ever thought about all that electroradiation from all that new equipment your exposing your fish to and yourself im an electrician so i was pondering that thought lastnight that maybe all that funky new is probably no good any thoughts?

I’m not aware of any ionizing radiation sources we use on our tanks except for maybe certain. Types of lighting.

The term radiation gets thrown around WAY too much like it’s the boogeyman. Radiation is merely energy. Waveforms. Light is radiation, heat is radiation, the radio in your car, the sound your ears hear.

People need concern themselves with IONIZING radiation. X rays, gamma rays, alpha particles, beta particles, uvb, uvc, radon gas pollution in the earth in various areas of the country, ect. Those are the wavelengths short enough (high energy) to knock an electron off an atom, destroy dna, produce H2O2 from water, ect. Your cell phone does not produce ionizing radiation. Neither do the lcd screens on your dosing pump.

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not aware of any ionizing radiation sources we use on our tanks except for maybe certain. Types of lighting.
Well reason i say is all electrical devices give off a type of radiation depending on what it is and ofcourse certain devices produce more radiation than others maybe there are some adverse affects we dont either think or know of... just a thought

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is a near universal electromagnetic insulator due to the symmetry of the h2o molecule. Why do you think nuclear power plants use water to surround the core? If anything our piscine friends are far more protected then us.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The term radiation gets thrown around WAY too much like it’s the boogeyman. Radiation is merely energy. Waveforms. Light is radiation, heat is radiation, the radio in your car, the sound your ears hear.

People need concern themselves with IONIZING radiation. X rays, gamma rays, alpha particles, beta particles, uvb, uvc, radon gas pollution in the earth in various areas of the country, ect. Those are the wavelengths short enough (high energy) to knock an electron off an atom, destroy dna, produce H2O2 from water, ect. Your cell phone does not produce ionizing radiation. Neither do the lcd screens on your dosing pump.

#science

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's why I invented the Majano Wand. Now I don't have any majano's so other people can electrocute them. :D

OP
OP
ScubaShane

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's why I invented the Majano Wand. Now I don't have any majano's so other people can electrocute them. :D
I knew you used to do that by reading up on you. But I didnt know about the Manjo Wand. Cant believe Ive been reefing for 17yrs and didnt even know that!

OP
OP
ScubaShane

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Majano Wand was invented by Paul Baldassano. Paul got into the saltwater hobby the same month saltwater fish became available in Manhattan – around 1971. An electrician by trade, Paul discovered if you pass DC voltage through saltwater, you generate hydrogen and chlorine – the water actually splits and becomes these gases. That discovery inspired him to use those gases to eliminate animals in his tank that he did not want. That was the beginning of the Majano Wand!

Paul built a prototype and, to his amazement, it disintegrated the majano aneomones in his tank. He built a more compact model, showed his friends, and they begged him to build this device for them. It dawned on Paul that this tool would really benefit the marine aquarium hobby which encouraged him to apply for a patent. The Majano Wand is Paul`s second patent for an aquarium-related device (the first was a seahorse feeder.)

OP
OP
ScubaShane

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats Awesome Paul! Cant get more Ol' School than that!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shikashane, Thank you. You must do a lot of reading. :p You can get a lot more old school than that. I started my tank with water from the East River in Manhattan. :eek: I couldn't get ASW then so it was the closest water I could get. I also dosed calcium that was made to feed iguanas and fed some of my fish frozen bananas. :confused: For a substrate I used blue driveway gravel from my neighbors driveway because they didn't sell gravel for salt water tanks. :D

OP
OP
ScubaShane

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.jpg

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're still using Tunze Turbelle. Great pumps!! To bad they are not making spare parts anymore(the motor will never give up but the plastic parts will unfortunately).

IMG_5965.JPG

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 77.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.9%
Back