whot is needed to get shut of this algae whotever it is?

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iv got this over my sand" its a light brown dust colour and I can remove with water change and comes back in few days! Also gets green/white cover all over inside of glass!

got few like tiny bubbles on rocks but very little algae! seems to go at night?

is this just a ugly stage as never had before and tanks run for 5 months

would you try microbactor7 or something else?

IMG_20200129_183115.jpg
IMG_20200129_183115.jpg
IMG_20200129_183018.jpg
IMG_20200129_183224.jpg

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on guys ! Don't be like those on Ultimatereef. Forums

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have multi probs one on the sand is diatoms and it looks like on the rock dinoflagellates.

How old is the tank?
Have you had anything die off?
What are your parameters?

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have multi probs one on the sand is diatoms and it looks like on the rock dinoflagellates.

How old is the tank?
Have you had anything die off?
What are your parameters?
running 4-5 months
iv had a elegance coral die after just not looking ok at start (pic) iv a tracky brain coral that iv not saw the feeding tenticles for over a week
My fish look ok

water parameters are"

ph 8.15
Alk 8.1
calcium 430ppm
mag 1275 ppm

nitrate 1-2 ppm only just showing colour on salifert
phosphate is 0.00 on hanna

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks new. Probably diatoms. Is your moorish idol eating?
4-5 month old tank and the Moorish idol eats like a pig 3 times a day" pellets and algae sheets also frozen mysis/brine

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is 3-4 months old I would say it's going through the "ugly" phase. Right now there is a competition going on in your tank between bacteria and algae. The best advice I can give you is to continue 20% waterchanges every week and buckle in. Normally dinoflagellates will die off once another algae starts to take hold. I would also increase your feeding a little to try and bring your phosphate up. 0 nitrate and phosphate is no good. Again most of this is gonna take time. Nothing good ever happens fast in a reef tank. If the dinos get more aggressive then stop doing waterchanges. Also read up on algae and dinos to better understand what is going on in your tank. It will help alot

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is 3-4 months old I would say it's going through the "ugly" phase. Right now there is a competition going on in your tank between bacteria and algae. The best advice I can give you is to continue 20% waterchanges every week and buckle in. Normally dinoflagellates will die off once another algae starts to take hold. I would also increase your feeding a little to try and bring your phosphate up. 0 nitrate and phosphate is no good. Again most of this is gonna take time. Nothing good ever happens fast in a reef tank. If the dinos get more aggressive then stop doing waterchanges. Also read up on algae and dinos to better understand what is going on in your tank. It will help alot
thank you for the good info bud! I feed my fish heavy but just cannot get phosphates" iv turned skimmer down and leave socks longer in sump" iv just got some brightwells neophos and neonitro to start dosing little"

would a bacteria like Microbactor 7 work for keeping sand clean? or Vibrant

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the good info bud! I feed my fish heavy but just cannot get phosphates" iv turned skimmer down and leave socks longer in sump" iv just got some brightwells neophos and neonitro to start dosing little"

would a bacteria like Microbactor 7 work for keeping sand clean? or Vibrant
Less is more. Just let the cycle do what it needs to do. I wouldn't even dose nitrate or phosphate yet. Frozen foods contain lots of phosphate. I would naturally try to raise the levels before dosing. 4 month old tank is still a baby. I personally wouldn't use vibrant. Micro7 is not bad as well as instant ocean biospira. Again it's just going to take some time. You can also cut back your lighting schedule to help with the new algae blooms

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back